You deserve a job that you feel proud of, where you can channel your knowledge and skills into projects that positively affect communities, and where you design your own path. This is Alliant. Become an employee-owner of a growing engineering and consulting firm where we strive to provide a diverse and equitable culture of support and opportunities. Our success is driven by our employee-owners, and we're excited to have you be a part of it.
The Impact You'll Have:
Come and join our team! This paid internship will provide ample opportunity to participate as a valuable member of our engineering team by working on meaningful projects, while being supported and mentored by our experienced engineering staff.
Our water resources and environmental groups are looking for an intern to complement our growing team. We provide water resources design and environmental review and compliance services for our transportation and land development groups, as well as standalone water and natural resources-based projects for several different types of clients. As an intern in our downtown Minneapolis office, you will work with water resources and environmental teams of professional engineers and technicians focused on helping you grow your skills while delivering high-quality design and environmental projects. For water resources, you will be involved in all aspects of design projects including storm sewer design, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, and water quality analysis. You will also be involved in environmental projects that include natural resource studies of wetlands and habitats, environmental assessments, permitting, stormwater design and inspections. Aliant's water and environmental staff members are fully integrated into the overall design team for each project, giving you exposure to roadway and traffic design, environmental compliance, construction staging, and many other design disciplines. There is opportunity to grow in this position as far as your hard work and drive to succeed will take you.
Tasks You'll Assist With:
- Hydrologic Analysis: modeling hydrology to determine peak flow rates, runoff volumes, and peak water levels for watersheds
- Water Quality Analysis: selecting and sizing stormwater best management practices to improve water quality and meet permitting requirements
- Urban and Rural Drainage Design: preparing permanent and temporary storm sewer and culvert design in partnership with roadway design team
- Plan Production: utilizing Microstation/Geopak and Open Roads Designer or AutoCAD and Civil3D to draft and model designs and prepare plans
- Cost Estimating: preparing quantities and researching historic unit prices to estimate construction costs
- Wetland Delineation: assist in defining and mapping wetlands in desktop and field investigations
- Environmental Review: evaluate natural resources, potential for endangered species, and draft reports that document resources, evaluate potential impacts to resources, and describe mitigation measures
- Stormwater: prepare stormwater plans and complete field inspections of erosion/sediment control measures
- Environmental Permitting: read regulations and permit requirements and prepare applications describing impacts to resources
- In pursuit of a Civil Engineering, Natural Resources, or Environmental Science(or related engineering or scientific field field)Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
Internship begins May 2024 and will conclude in August 2024.
At Alliant, we take care of our employees by offering a world class benefit package including:
- Competitive salary
- Wellness Programs & Competitions
- Flexible Schedules
- Casual work environment
- Community Involvement/Charity Events
- Numerous Employee Focused Events (Lunch & Learns, Office Recreation Room, Quarterly Off-Site Socials, etc.)
Who We Are:
Alliant Engineering, Inc., an employee-owned company, is a growing engineering, planning, landscape architecture, and surveying firm with a strong culture of customer service, quality, delivery, and innovation. At Alliant we work hard; we have fun; and we love it.
We design solutions that address current needs while paving the way for a brighter future. We provide a culture of diversity, equity, and support, where everyone is given the opportunity to grow and succeed. We approach every project with unwavering confidence yet remain humbly committed to designing work that speaks for itself. At Alliant, our employee-owners are the force behind our success, and we can't wait for you to join us to build better communities with excellence and passion.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. without requiring visa sponsorship now or in the future.
|We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. We are dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.