Created in 1978 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, Opus One remains committed to realizing our founders’ dream of bringing to life one unique wine that expresses the seamlessly blended personality and character of each family. With a great sense of pride in our work to realize this dream, the people of Opus One bring profound dedication and unsurpassed attention to detail in our daily work. We care deeply for the quality of our relationships within the winery, with our trade partners, and with our customers.
Reflecting the spirit, grace, and generous hospitality of the Founders, the Domestic Trade Specialist conveys to our partners in retail, restaurants, hotels, and distribution the image, style, and substance of Opus One. This individual will build meaningful relationships with our trade partners and guides their experience at the winery based on their individual needs and interests, and acts as a liaison between the sales team and the Guest Relations department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Welcoming our trade guests to the property and hosting their tours and tastings, using any relevant information gathered from before their arrival to enhance their visit. Provide warm, memorable, personal experiences, and create lasting memories that will translate back to their professional space.
- In conjunction with the Trade Reservations Specialist, reach out to upcoming trade guests to learn more about their visit to Napa Valley, including any special events, birthdays, etc., to gauge their experience with Opus One, and feel out their level of wine knowledge and interests. Use this information to create a personalized plan for their visit.
- After the completion of tours, enters any relevant information into CRM, and follows up with the Opus One sales representative from the guest’s region, conveying any information that might be useful.
- Sending a personal thank you note to the guests’ property after their visit.
- Meet weekly with the Sales and Marketing Manager and Guest Experience Manager to review the week’s upcoming visitors and adjust any experiences as deemed necessary. Meet monthly with the entire sales and trade hospitality teams to further develop and enhance Opus One’s trade program.
- Host internal events as it relates to trade and experiences.
- Assist the Guest Relations team as needed, helping with paid tastings in the Partner’s Room, Courtyard Tasting Room, private tastings, or at the concierge desk. Help cover the Customer Service Specialist for the trade when they are on vacation or out of the office.
- Ensure that Opus One tasting areas and all other rooms visited by the public are available and meticulously maintained for trade and paid tours and tastings.
- Maintain, update, and expand knowledge of viticulture and enology by participating in educational trainings offered by Opus One and by outside sources.
- Speak knowledgeably about all Opus One representatives, distributors, retailers, and vintages offered for sale at the winery or anywhere in the world, knowing details about Opus One or related merchandise to better assist trade guests with their understanding and appreciation of the wine.
- Assist in developing educational/training aids for use by the Guest Relations department.
- Four to Six (4-6) years of experience working at a winery or wine-related business.
- Experience and knowledgeable in distribution, wine buying, or restaurant management
- Strong retail sales/public relations skills and experience
- Work collaboratively across cross-functional departments/teams
- Clear communication skills and comfortable speaking and presenting at all levels of the organization, especially the Management and trade visitors.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- College degree preferred
- Foreign language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, or Spanish)
- Knowledge of viticulture, winemaking, wine marketing, and/or wine tasting
We invite all interested candidates to apply, even if you are unsure about whether you meet all the listed qualifications. Opus One Winery is looking for motivated, passionate, curious individuals who believe in our Core Values and Mission.
- Collaboration - Reaches consensus about goals and methods for completing projects or tasks.
- Growth & Potential (A Great Place to Work) - Displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement, with particular emphasis on developmental areas that are job and/or organization-relevant.
- Integrity & Trust - Personally models behaviors that underscore the importance of honesty, truth, respect, and fairness in interpersonal relations; creates a supportive work environment.
- Job Performance - Displays specialized and/or in-depth skills, knowledge, or judgment associated with the position.
- Growth and Potential - Displays an on-going commitment to learning and self-improvement, with particular emphasis on areas of development.
- Reliability & Time Management - Arrives at work and/or meetings on time, ready to take action on responsibilities.
- Stewardship - Promotes and supports the individual and collective well-being of everyone at Opus One.
- Workplace Safety – Complies with all workplace safety regulations, including cybersecurity.
OUR DEDICATION TO YOU
- Competitive benefits package including 94% employer paid Medical, with 100% employer paid Dental/ Vision/ basic life coverage/ STD/ LTD for both employees and dependents.
- 401(k) retirement plan with a 7% employer-only contribution, based on employee annual earnings.
- Work life balance
- Wellness reimbursement
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities
- Up to 40 hours of volunteer time
- PTO; Holiday Pay
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- Some work from home flexibility
SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accident prevention is of utmost importance in all phases of job responsibilities.
- Follow all company policies and procedures including job safety, safety rules and regulations.
- Assist management to provide safe and healthy working conditions at all times.
- Immediately report all unsafe conditions, work-related accidents, and illnesses to Safety Manager and your supervisor.
SUSTAINABILITY: Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
COMPENSATION: Base Compensation Range: $21.00 – $30.00 USD hourly*
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Opus One Winery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
* The base compensation range is base salary only. In addition to base compensation, all roles are eligible for individual performance bonus and company bonus that range from role to role. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, such as skills, experience, qualifications, and tenure with Opus One.
We understand that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about our total compensation package, benefits and perks Opus One Winery has to offer, please visit our careers page.