The Software Development Manager is responsible for leading application implementation, configuration, support and integration activities for custom-built applications critical to NCM product and operations. The ideal candidate has current domain knowledge of SaaS, IT enterprise apps and current Agile/DevOps software development. Must be an effective leader, motivator, and manager with high-energy and an enthusiastic approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Has the primary responsibility of facilitating the learning and growth of one or more software development teams, improving practices and developing processes, enabling the teams to perform at their best.
• Manage, coach and arrange training for the software development team, ensuring that they have clear career progression, goals and that their HR needs are met.
• Performance management, reviews, one-on-one meetings and goal setting.
• Recruitment and managing technical onboarding of new resources.
• Manage the integration of offshore resources, ensuring that they are effective.
• Coach and train individual contributors and colleagues on traditional and Agile values, principles, methods, and practices.
• Facilitates team development, mediates conflicts protecting the team and encourages healthy team dynamics.
• Assists the other functional managers in dependency management and cross team coordination.
• Help solidify our Agile knowledge and practices across the organization (e.g. scrum events, user stories, estimating, roadmaps, release management, etc.).
• Works with stakeholders and team members to learn and practice healthy backlog management and prioritization practices.
• Facilitates the execution and improvement of backlog refinement and requirements gathering.
• Facilitates release planning by assisting the release coordinator.
• Participates in support ticket and bug triage and escalation.
• Facilitates ceremonies, collaboration, communication, and conflict management.
• Create effective project plans and manage them to successful delivery by balancing scope, resources, quality, and budget. Provide estimates based on high-level business requirements and provide options analysis.
• Ensure that project and resource development teams maintain compliance with change management, documentation, and development standards.
• Establish and nurture strategic relationships with key external technology suppliers. Where appropriate utilize technology solution providers to handle day-to-day support functions, while ensuring full-time staff focus on projects most important to the business.
• Work closely with IT and business stakeholders and supplier partners to provide timely and cost-effective technology solutions to business needs.
• Establish and maintain effective written and in-person communications with NCM leaders and team members and stakeholders.
• Serves as a liaison between application teams and business owners.
• Can act as an auxiliary project manager when technical leadership is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, or related field or equivalent industry experience.
• Minimum of 5 years’ management and leadership experience in a software development environment.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing complex technical initiatives, ideally in SaaS, Business Intelligence or Data Analytics environment.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience doing .Net or Java Software Development
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in process improvements in large organization acting in a leadership role.
• Experience with Azure Devops Boards, Jira or similar work planning tools.
• Recent practical experience with common Agile and DevOps processes and tools.
• Experience in DevOps capabilities such as Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD), Automated Testing, etc.
• Ability to gain the respect of highly technical associates to increase the likelihood of adopting the recommended changes.
• Experience managing or leading Agile/DevOps engagements in a distributed agile environment such as on-site / offshore model.
• Strong leadership, communication and presentation skills.
• Strong documentation and training skills.