SALARY & FLSA: $27.89 per hour; FLSA non-exempt
OPENING DATE: 05/30/2023
CLOSING DATE: 06/20/2023; 11:59 PM
JOB TYPE: Regular/ Full-time
HOW DO YOU ZOO?
More than 1.3 million people visit Woodland Park Zoo each year. We connect people with wildlife and remind them of what’s at stake in our changing world. Our job is to motivate people to take action and provide them with the tools needed to join us in saving endangered species. Working for the zoo means upholding our mission, “To save wildlife and inspire everyone to make conservation a priority in their lives.” Apply today and show us how you zoo.
WHO YOU ARE
As our new Maintenance Laborer, we know you will be successful in this role because you:
- Thrive in an active role: You enjoy being physically active from heavy lifting to walking and standing for extended periods of time.
- Love variety in your workday: You work both indoors and outdoors carrying out many different maintenance, construction, and repair tasks with new projects popping up daily.
- Uphold Safety Regulations: You provide top notch ongoing care and maintenance for our 92-acre zoo by following safety trainings and protocols.
- Troubleshooting whiz: You arrive on scene and can quickly assess the problem both independently and with a team. You remember the instructions from operating, maintenance, and procedure manuals so you can easily fix and repair issues.
YOUR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mows, edges, and maintains lawns using riding lawn mowers, assigned tractors, edgers, and sweepers.
- Provides regular and ongoing care, preparation, and maintenance for a medium- to large-sized park, containing several distinct outdoor recreational features.
- Assists a variety of skilled-trade personnel in coordinating and performing skilled work; will also assist in the maintenance, repair and construction of buildings and other facilities, and in preparing walks and streets for asphalt and concrete paving operations.
- Assists with the preventative maintenance and repair of roofs and drainage systems.
- Maintains routine records and reports.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid US driver’s license required
- Commercial driver’s license preferred
- Ability to regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- Successful applicants must live and work in Washington State to perform this role.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history.
- The Woodland Park Zoo offers a comprehensive benefits package for fulltime staff including:
- Medical, dental, and vision HMO and PPO plans for you and eligible dependents
- 11 paid holidays and 2 personal holidays
- Accrue 12 vacation days and another 12 days of sick your first year
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free zoo membership that includes zoo admission and discounts after 90 days
- 4 complimentary tickets per year plus other discounts and perks
- Free staff parking
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
Application: Please include a resume with your application through our Zoo Careers site at zoo.org/jobs. Please be sure to list or upload copies of all relevant training and certifications on your application. The zoo may review existing application pools to fill this position or use this pool to fill future vacancies.
This opportunity is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Woodland Park Zoo values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The zoo encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, 2SLGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.
|Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.