Student Government Civic Engagement Student Assistant
Definition and Purpose
The Student Government Civic Engagement Student Assistant is responsible for assisting in the coordination and execution of outreach, education and logistical support of voter registration campaigns and general civic engagement efforts of ASI Student Government. The Student Government Civic Engagement Student Assistant handles a high volume of diverse requests. The Student Government Student Assistant is responsible for providing clerical assistance and performing internal customer service functions.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in social and digital media.
- Reliable, self-motivated and works well with minimum supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management.
- Experience working with high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Windows based computer systems required (Microsoft Office); strong Excel skills required for Student Office Assistant positions.
- Ability to make routine decisions based on specific criteria/guidelines.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Ability to have a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others or independently, as the situation requires.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds, specific needs, or limitations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the development and implementation ASI voter registration and civic engagement efforts.
- Coordinate and/or assist with program area assessment efforts.
- Knowledge of written and oral communications principles, methods, and techniques to conduct and coordinate outreach activities for various audiences.
- Work as ASI representative at events.
- Knowledge of all programs, services, and amenities within ASI.
- Maintain a welcoming environment for all visitors and staff members.
- Handle confidential information according to ASI policies and procedures.
- Provide quality customer service to all staff members and customers.
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion and policy education.
- Keep accurate records and ensure accurate data entry.
- Adhere to ASI departmental policies and procedures.
- General office assistance (word processing, filing, mailing, copying).
- Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude in order to provide excellent customer service.
- Maintain prompt hours and follow attendance procedures.
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats.
- Assist with special projects.
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area.
- Other duties as assigned.
Specialized Duties and Responsibilities
- Knowledge of the basic concepts, principles and practices of voter registration and civic engagement programs.
- Perform Data entry.
- Make arrangements for Student Government meetings and outreach events.
- Research other university’s Student Government programs and services.
- Assist in the development of ASI Student Government procedures and standards guidelines.
- Provide support for Student Government events including preparation of production schedules, supplies, and day of event needs.
- Develop voter registration strategies, outreach, and activities to increase ASI’s voter registration efforts.
- Collaborate with partners to educate and promote civic engagement throughout the campus.
- Create and disseminate digital content, including but not limited to e-newsletters and text messages. regarding ASI’s Voter Registration Drives and Civic Engagement.
- Attend meetings that pertain to ASI Student Government and civic engagement.
- Coordinate Voter Registration Efforts with the University’s Office of the Government Affairs.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Recommend and support practices intended to eliminate racial, gender, or any other form of bias in processes, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrate awareness of one’s own biases, comfort levels, and various aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Demonstrate effort to understand each person’s individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments.
- Participate in trainings and activities provided by ASI as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $15.50 per hour; maximum 12-15 hours per week.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 01/01/2023