TITLE: Assistant Gardener
PAY & FLSA: $25.11 per hour; FLSA non-exempt
OPENING DATE: 05/17/2023
CLOSING DATE: 07/10/2023 (May close sooner if a sufficient number of qualified applications is received.)
JOB TYPE: Part Time, temporary
UNION: Local 242: Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA)
LOCATION: Onsite only
HOW DO YOU ZOO?
More than 1.3 million people visit Woodland Park Zoo each year. We connect people with wildlife and remind them of what is at stake in our changing world. Our job is to motivate people to take action and provide them with the tools needed to join us in saving endangered species. Working for the zoo means upholding our mission, “To save wildlife and inspire everyone to make conservation a priority in their lives.” Apply today and show us how you zoo.
This position will assist in the daily collection and distribution of plant material used for browse for our animals and with the maintenance of the browse gardens. The ideal candidate should have a good knowledge of plant species and plant identification skills, possess basic pruning skills, and can work alone as well as alongside other gardeners and volunteers. The work schedule for this position will be Friday thru Sunday, 7:00am to 3:30 pm from July to mid- October.
WHO YOU ARE
As our new Assistant Gardener, we know you will be successful in this role because you:
- Harvest Browse for Animals: The zoo is filled with herbivores and those plant-loving animals are looking to you to harvest and organize their next tasty treat of branches, stalks, leaves, and flowers.
- Are a Plant Enthusiast: You can identify different kinds of plant species and you use your green thumb to care for and enhance the bioclimatic diversity of plants and trees which grow in our urban forest.
- Enjoy Working Outdoors: No matter what the weather is like, you thrive being outside. You might be pruning plants or driving a vehicle filled with a load of zoo doo.
- Part of the Crew: You are happy to answer guest questions who are curious about what you are doing, bring a good sense of humor, offer a helping hand, and get to know the various teams.
- Committed to Excellence: If you’re asked to weed there will be no dandelion root left, if you’re spreading mulch the depth and distance from the various plants will be appropriate, and you’ll leave the space better than you found it.
YOUR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Weed, water, mulch and fertilize landscape beds and turf areas.
- Plant, and prune trees, shrubs, perennials, and seasonal plant material.
- Operate blowers, string trimmers and repair irrigation.
- Maintain required records; prepares necessary reports.
- One (1) year certificate from college or technical school, or three (3) to six (6) months of related experience and/or training, or equivalent education and experience.
- A valid driver's license
- Basic computer, communication, mathematics, and landscaping skills.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
The Woodland Park Zoo offers temporary staff the following benefits:
- 4 complimentary Zoo tickets per year plus other discounts and perks
- Accrue 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Free staff parking
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Application: Please include a resume with your application through our Zoo Careers site at zoo.org/jobs. The zoo may review existing application pools to fill this position or use this pool to fill future vacancies.
This opportunity is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Woodland Park Zoo values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The zoo encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, 2SLGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.
Screening: We will review applications and select some candidates for screening calls. Final candidates will be invited for virtual or in-person interviews.
Offer: Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check.