Terraphase Engineering is seeking a Senior Project Level Wetlands and Regulatory Permitting Specialist in our California offices. We are looking for a motivated Clean Water Act compliance and biological resource specialist to join our growing team! This is a mid-level individual with approximately five or more years of experience that includes leading field data collection efforts associated with wetlands/waters delineations, endangered species habitat assessments, and environmental assessments to support a variety of public and private projects. The position will require a candidate to work both independently, lead team tasks, and have the capacity to balance varying priorities and tasks to work on multiple projects concurrently and meet deliverable deadlines. Depending on qualifications and experience, this position generally performs work under supervision/guidance of more senior staff supporting both routine and complex projects.
Some overnight travel will be required, with periodic weekends and long hours; subject to weather to assist our clients with their compliance obligations.
- Lead field efforts including wetland determination/delineation surveys, flora/fauna surveys, habitat assessments, and manage associated reporting.
- Conduct natural resource evaluations including, but not limited to wetland delineations, wildlife habitat evaluations, and rare species surveys.
- Develop permit strategies with project team for projects in various market sectors.
- Conduct federal, state, and local wetland related permitting efforts.
- Develop and/or review technical reports and documents.
- Perform construction oversight and environmental monitoring.
- Collect data during field surveys using handheld tablets utilizing Field Maps, and other geographic information systems (GIS) software.
- Assist with the development of permit applications, including state and federal U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Section 404/Section 10 permits and Section 401 Water Quality Certifications.
- Conduct regulatory agency consultations regarding threatened and endangered species and support species/habitat surveys.
- Assist with writing and preparing technical reports, work plans, letters, and memoranda.
- Manage desktop environmental assessments using GIS and other available methods to address potential permitting constraints.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, or similar environmental discipline.
- Two or more years of experience leading wetland delineation field surveys using the appropriate USACE Regional Supplements and authoring delineation reports.
- Experience using GPS/GIS data collection technology.
- Ability to travel and work in the field, sometimes to remote locations.
- Three or more years of experience in environmental planning and permitting, including USACE Section 404/Section 10 permits and Section 401 Water Quality Certifications.
- Wetland Professional in Training or Professional Wetland Scientist
- Advanced experience with ArcGIS, Google Earth, and other desktop mapping applications.
- Familiarity with regional threatened and endangered species, coordination with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and species-specific evaluation or survey experience.
- Strong writing, critical thinking, communication, software, and reasoning skills.
- Ability to mentor and supervise junior staff while managing tasks of varying sizes and complexity.
- Experience overseeing sub-contractors.
- Support project bidding/contract solicitation. Assist in the development and implementation of proposals, scopes, schedules, and budgets for project work.
- Incorporate detailed quality control review by others into your work.
- Assist in client and regulatory agency discussions and negotiations.
- Work independently and solicit input from senior staff.
- Task and project-level responsibility for scoping, performing, managing, and delivering multiple concurrent project assignments.
- Task and project management, including leading planning and directing staff, budgeting and budget management, adherence to schedule, quality, client satisfaction, and profitability.
- Manage project budgets and resources, complete budget tracking, invoicing, and amendments as required.
- Directly manage projects involving compliance support, monitoring, reporting, and engineering solutions.
- Coordinate and oversee staff, outside contractors, and vendors for assigned projects.
- Evaluate and assist clients with recommendations for and implementation of best management practices and/or avoidance and protection measures.
- Manage multiple vendors, subcontractors and internal staff on several sites concurrently.
Who We Are
We are an environmental consulting company that offers cost-effective solutions to complex environmental and engineering challenges. We apply technical expertise and keen awareness of the regulatory framework to achieve our clients' project goals and objectives. The combined talent and experience of Terraphase's engineers, geologists, and scientists form the foundation for a comprehensive environmental management approach.
Terraphase was founded with the goal of developing a full-service engineering and consulting firm that provides high-quality services to clients with regional and nationwide operations. We are driven by creating valuable work products for our company and clients, and a rewarding environment for our employees. Our staff is comprised of registered professionals in civil engineering, geology, hydrogeology, and geotechnical engineering.
Our unique company culture philosophy of appreciating and recognizing individuals for their work, leadership, and mentoring, while supporting and encouraging a healthy personal and professional lifestyle help to make Terraphase one of the best places to work.
Terraphase offers an extensive benefits package including; Medical, Dental, Vision, Employer Paid Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, a generous 401(k) match, Commuter Benefits, TerraLunches, TerraTalks, Tuition/Licensing/Professional Development Reimbursement, Flexible Work Schedule, ongoing company-sponsored events.
Terraphase is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to an inclusive & diverse work environment where individual strengths and diverse viewpoints are respected and complement each other to achieve common goals. (EOE M/V/F/D)