Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Warehouser. We have one, part-time, temporary, non benefitted positions open.
Preferred candidates will be interested in doing both the Warehouser and Animal Diet Specialist Role.
If you are interested in occupying both roles, please submit an application to both jobs
Please click here to apply for the Animal Diet Specialist Application
Responsible for daily operations of the warehouse at the zoo.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepares bulk animal diets, following prescribed standing orders for the assigned areas of the zoo.
- Delivers and picks up diets to/from animal units to fulfill Animal Management needs.
- Picks up food and non-food items from vendors as needed.
- Orders items under the direction of the Purchasing & Distribution Manager.
- Cleans and organizes the warehouse.
- Communicates with commissary management regarding stock shortages and quality concerns.
- Collects invoices, credit card receipts and packing slips to document purchases; checks invoices against packing slips; and assists with inventory counts.
- Performs routine record-keeping and related clerical duties such as data entry and maintenance of files and records.
- Maintains and monitors grain, hay, and food quality in accordance with USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Fills and delivers uniform orders; maintains uniform inventory.
- Receives, stocks, and delivers equipment, materials, and supplies for the zoo.
- Assists in training new staff or other staff in Warehouser tasks, as directed.
- Safely operates a forklift.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work with hay, dust, crickets, worms, fish, blood, and dead prey animals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekend and/or holidays.
- A valid Washington Driver’s License.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Six months or more related experience and/or training in a food warehouse environment.
- Washington State Fork Lift Safety Certification or the ability to obtain certification.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Outlook.
- Experience with inventory management software.
- This position must frequently lift or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds.
- A considerable amount of walking and standing is required.
- This position is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and variable weather conditions. The warehouse is not thoroughly heated or cooled and can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Food is stored in a walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer. This position is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration; and exotic animals. The noise level in the environment is typically moderate, but can vary. This position requires an ability to walk or transit across the 92-acre facility in variable weather conditions.
Pay: $26.09 per hour
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant. This role is not remote. Successful applicants must live and work in Washington State to perform this role.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter is optional and resume are required.
Temporary employees are eligible for the following:
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 4 complimentary tickets per year plus other discounts and perks
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Sick Leave Accrual
- Working for an organization that cares about wildlife conservation!
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.