|A pioneering not-for-profit affordable housing developer and community programs initiator in New York City, Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. has worked since 1969 to create more than 8,700 apartments through 64 affordable rental and homeownership development projects. Settlement Housing Fund presently owns and maintains 36 buildings containing 1,979 apartments in various locations, with concentrations of housing and programs in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, the Two Bridges neighborhood on the Lower East Side, as well as at other sites throughout Manhattan. We expect that our portfolio will continue to grow. Settlement Housing Fund is equally committed to bringing amenities, programs and services to communities we serve through the development and operation of affordable housing. Settlement Housing Fund is the parent organization of The Crenulated Company, LTD dba New Settlement which was created in 1989 with the acquisition of 14 abandoned buildings from the City of New York. New Settlement has evolved into a robust social service organization offering a range of community-based services in education, college access, youth development, arts, workforce development, community organizing, wellness and other key services that provide important resources to the neighborhood's youth and families. New Settlement's success has been achieved through close collaboration with a wide range of educational institutions, housing and community development organizations, businesses, youth development and social service agencies - in the neighborhood, Bronx-wide, across New York and nationally. The programs at New Settlement are supported by local, state and federal government agencies, as well as foundations, corporations, organizations and individuals.
JOB SUMMARY: The Pinkerton Summer Bridge Program was developed as an opportunity to address summer melt with college bound graduating seniors by providing them with employment at our New Settlement Summer Camp through SYEP, providing a CUNY summer course that will be 2 hours a week on site, and the opportunity to get certified in CPR and First Aid. The Persistence Coach will be a main pillar in supporting this new initiative that is part of our College Access and Success programs– they will work with New Settlement high school seniors, employers, and community partners to provide comprehensive support for our Pinkerton Summer Bridge Program. Persistence Coaches are an integral part of accomplishing the following goals:
1) Utilize near-peer mentoring to support students to complete the final milestones necessary to matriculate to college (ex. register for classes, finalize financial aid, etc.)
2) Facilitate workshops that prepare students for their transition from high school to college
3) Support the professor in the CUNY summer course by serving as a Teacher Assistant
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Provide near-peer college and career counseling through 1:1 advising and group sessions to a cohort of students
- Talk to seniors about what to expect in college and other post-secondary pathways after high school
- Facilitate workshops related to how to prepare for their transition from high school to college
- Act as a Teaching Assistant for our CUNY summer course
- Assist students to complete enrollment paperwork, verify financial aid, enroll in support programs, register for classes and attend orientation
- Complete all necessary paperwork and data entry to ensure high quality counseling
- Serve as a constant positive representative of New Settlement and the Student Success Center
- Plan and take students on a campus visits
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Work 25 hours per week
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Alumni of NYC public high school (New Settlement Success Student preferred) or have HS Equivalency Diploma
- Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior in a CUNY college.
- Must be currently enrolled in college (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Previous youth leadership or College Bridge Coach experience, preferred
- Must attend training sessions and must be available during the summer
- Must be a motivated, responsible, and a hardworking team player
- Must be proficient in computer skills and email communication
- Bilingual a plus but not a requirement
- Ability to relate to persons of diverse backgrounds
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$19.00 - $20.00 per hour