|A pioneering not-for-profit affordable housing developer and community programs initiator in New York City, Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. has worked since 1969 to create more than 8,700 apartments through 64 affordable rental and homeownership development projects. Settlement Housing Fund presently owns and maintains 36 buildings containing 1,979 apartments in various locations, with concentrations of housing and programs in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, the Two Bridges neighborhood on the Lower East Side, as well as at other sites throughout Manhattan. We expect that our portfolio will continue to grow. Settlement Housing Fund is equally committed to bringing amenities, programs and services to communities we serve through the development and operation of affordable housing. Settlement Housing Fund is the parent organization of The Crenulated Company, LTD dba New Settlement which was created in 1989 with the acquisition of 14 abandoned buildings from the City of New York. New Settlement has evolved into a robust social service organization offering a range of community-based services in education, college access, youth development, arts, workforce development, community organizing, wellness and other key services that provide important resources to the neighborhood's youth and families. New Settlement's success has been achieved through close collaboration with a wide range of educational institutions, housing and community development organizations, businesses, youth development and social service agencies - in the neighborhood, Bronx-wide, across New York and nationally. The programs at New Settlement are supported by local, state and federal government agencies, as well as foundations, corporations, organizations and individuals.
JOB SUMMARY: The Construction Training Manager is the primary expert on the construction trades and training and is responsible for running an essential part of the New Settlement YouthBuild program. Reporting to the Program Director, the Construction Manager will be responsible for the on-site and off-site construction training and instruction of New Settlement YouthBuild students enrolled in the construction training track. He/she will be certified in the NCCER Construction, and will teach both curriculums to students for certification. He/she will devise and implement a 10-month curriculum that prepares students for both the soft skills and hard skills required to be successful in the in the construction industry, and involve outside professionals to work with the students on various skills. He/she will develop strong relationships with contractors and sub-contractors willing to allow our students hands-on construction training on actual worksites.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Develop and implement a detailed 10-month construction training curriculum and schedule integrating the NCCER Core Curriculum, classroom instruction, construction lab training and worksite training opportunities; Be open to getting the NCCER trainer credential.
- Coordinate and monitor the progress and quality of work of young adults 17 – 24 years old.
- Provide oversight of the on-site construction training by ensuring that trainees get consistent and adequate skills training; helping to set standards for appropriate behavior and ways to handle problems on the construction site; and ensuring work-site safety, learning of safety procedures, and proper construction techniques.
- Ensure quality instruction of construction skills including demolition, rough framing, roofing, drywall, finish carpentry, sheet metal, electrical, plumbing, painting, and masonry.
- Be responsible for overall safety enforcement.
- Assist in the evaluation of student knowledge and skills in construction. Participate in the development of project –based curriculum that includes construction.
- Maintain accurate files documenting the construction projects for each school year.
- Implement and accurately maintain a system to track student’s progress and assess their skills and abilities.
- Maintain accurate inventory of all tools, supplies, and equipment.
- Select, order, store, issue and inventory construction lab equipment, materials and supplies.
- Serve as a mentor to YouthBuild trainees by exhibiting integrity and professional at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or Equivalency required.
- At least 5 years of experience in the construction industry or related field.
- Experience working with low-income at-risk young adults preferred.
- Certified NCCER Construction trainer.
- Up to date knowledge of standards and skills for success in the construction industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to relate to a wide range of issues, people, and institutions.
- Ability to multi-task and work well as part of a team.
- Must be a flexible, energetic, and positive individual who is committed to the education and development of youth in a high-quality respectful environment.
- Sense of humor and nonjudgmental attitude.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Bi-lingual: English and Spanish preferred.
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$35.00 - $40.00 per hour