|A pioneering not-for-profit affordable housing developer and community programs initiator in New York City, Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. has worked since 1969 to create more than 8,700 apartments through 64 affordable rental and homeownership development projects. Settlement Housing Fund presently owns and maintains 36 buildings containing 1,979 apartments in various locations, with concentrations of housing and programs in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, the Two Bridges neighborhood on the Lower East Side, as well as at other sites throughout Manhattan. We expect that our portfolio will continue to grow. Settlement Housing Fund is equally committed to bringing amenities, programs and services to communities we serve through the development and operation of affordable housing. Settlement Housing Fund is the parent organization of The Crenulated Company, LTD dba New Settlement which was created in 1989 with the acquisition of 14 abandoned buildings from the City of New York. New Settlement has evolved into a robust social service organization offering a range of community-based services in education, college access, youth development, arts, workforce development, community organizing, wellness and other key services that provide important resources to the neighborhood's youth and families. New Settlement's success has been achieved through close collaboration with a wide range of educational institutions, housing and community development organizations, businesses, youth development and social service agencies - in the neighborhood, Bronx-wide, across New York and nationally. The programs at New Settlement are supported by local, state and federal government agencies, as well as foundations, corporations, organizations and individuals.
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Assistant Aquatics Director ensures the aquatic experience is safe and fun for members and program participants. This position will be responsible for the delivery and maintenance of high-level member service through safe program instruction, communication, planning and organization. This includes, but is not limited to, Blue Seals Swim Team, Swim Lessons and Lifeguarding programs. The candidate must have exceptional relationship-building skills and a commitment to the New Settlement Community Center mission.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Reports directly to the Aquatics Director, and directly supervises the Aquatics Office Assistant and Aquatics Supervisors.
- Oversees the collection of Aquatic Staff availabilities and is responsible for creating effective shift schedules.
- Makes adjustments to Aquatic Staff time-cards.
- Ensure all scheduled shifts are properly covered. Substitute instruct, and assist in all aspects of aquatics programming and lifeguarding as needed.
- Facilitates lifeguard training on pool safety and rescue techniques during monthly in-services.
- Assesses individual performance, provides feedback, and coaches Aquatics Staff accordingly.
- Makes hiring, promotion, disciplinary, and termination recommendations to Aquatics Director.
- Immediately report suspicious or inappropriate behaviors or abuse.
- Able to fill out and log incident reports.
- Ensures Aquatics Department is within code of all Department of Health requirements.
- Enforce facility rules and regulations to minimize risk.
- Confirms and oversees the creation of program rosters.
- Checks in on and updates contracts.
- Informs all staff regarding cancellations, updates and updates the appropriate calendars.
- Tracks Lifeguard and WSI certifications to ensure they are up to date.
- Write (but not sign off on) check requests, money orders, purchase orders, etc.
- May sign off on documentation or make executive decisions in the absence of the Aquatics Director.
- Oversees all day-to-day functions within the Aquatics Department.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Two years coaching and/or swim instructor experience.
- Two years lifeguarding experience.
- One to two years of supervisory/management experience.
- Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR, AED Certified (American Red Cross Preferred)
- Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) preferred.
- CPO Certified (Preferred)
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Work authorization: United States (Required)
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$50,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year