Job Overview: This individual performs duties as a receptionist and cashier in the designated area of need. Cashier duties will include: calculating all charges for patient visits; collecting correct payment amounts; posting all charges utilizing CPT and ICD-10 codes; posting all receipts in the Practice Management System (PMS); researching and coordinating correction of all denials; informing patients of outstanding bills; and explaining BWC credit policy and protocols. Receptionist duties will include: answering phone calls; scheduling patient appointments; confirming insurance and demographic information; maintaining messages and faxes within the electronic medical record (EMR) and coordinating other data for physicians.
- Interact with all patients, providers, co-workers and the general public in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Greet and receive patients at reception window.
- Utilize a multi-line phone system and answer all incoming calls in a timely manner.
- Assess caller's needs, determine appropriate action and act or direct accordingly.
- Prepare accurate and thorough messages with the EMR and route appropriately in a timely manner.
- Schedule all new and follow up as well as reschedule all appointments according to physicians' protocols.
- Schedule all lab only appointments noting ordering physician, test and diagnosis per BWC procedure.
- Direct patients to patient service representative as directed in notes or based on assessment of patients insurance and/or owed balances.
- Maintain knowledge of insurance plans BWC currently participates in and protocol for each plan regarding pertinent information needed to accurately schedule patients, key charges, file insurance, and collect receipts.
- Verify all demographic and insurance information with all patients at time appointment is scheduled and/or when patient presents for appointment. Update demographic information within PMS and/or refer patient to Patient Service Representative according to BWC protocol.
- Maintain providers daily schedule to reflect arrived, canceled, bumped and no show patients. Notify provider and clinical staff of patient's arrival in a timely manner.
- Process required appointment reports.
- Instruct patient on completion of forms and direct to appropriate staff.
- Communicate to patient payment expectations per BWC financial policies at time of scheduling and charge posting.
- Maintain in-box within EMR - including timely review and resolution of messages, assignments and faxes.
- Collect time of service payments prior, accurately calculate fee for services; collect payment as indicated by insurance carrier and/or BWC credit policy.
- Post all charges and receipts to appropriate accounts, ensuring accuracy of ICD 10 and CPT codes. If accurate codes are not found, alert physician immediately.
- Post all receipts per BWC protocol, including correct posting of co-pays, deductibles and other payments.
- Prepare charge and receipt summaries daily; prepare and submit accurate and timely deposits and required accompanying reports accordingly.
- Maintain accurate cash drawer.
- Assist patients with insurance and billing questions as needed.
- Review accounts as charges are posted for collection balances and communicate such issues to patients or refer patient to appropriate resource.
- Maintain low error ratio for denials related to keying of charges, edits and incomplete or inaccurate deposits.
- Advise physicians and nurses of potential coding issues related to charges and assist managers with alerting them of changes.
- Complete paperwork within established deadlines.
- Maintain area coverage at all times, coordinating breaks and lunches with other staff.
- Maintain working knowledge of assigned physician's protocols.
- Document in PMS and EMR, all relevant HIPAA information.
- Follow OSHA guidelines.
- Follow all HIPAA policies.
- Follow all BWC protocol and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.