Bolton & Menk is looking to add a Transportation Design Engineer to our team in our Des Moines or Cedar Rapids location. As a Des Moines Register Iowa TopWorkplace, this is a fantastic opportunity to work with a great team of professionals. Bolton & Menk is regional, consulting engineer firm with over 70 years of experience serving the Upper Midwest and beyond.
We are looking to add a Transportation Design Engineer who will help foster our mission that All People Should Live in a Safe, Sustainable and Beautiful Community! We are passionate about using collaboration to lead us to the right solution. A solution that can be planned for and funded. A lasting solution that not only works today but long into the future. Our expertise offers a fresh, engaging approach to solve multi-faceted problems involving technical, regulatory, and community issues.
What you will be doing:
As a Transportation Design Engineer, you will learn practical on-the-job experience serving our municipalities in our Des Moines market. The majority of your time will be spent assisting project managers and project engineers in design and construction phase activities on Transportation projects.
- Assisting Project Engineers with design and construction phase activities on transportaiton projects
- Perform basic design computations, preliminary layout and design, research and prepare rough drafts of preliminary reports and feasibility studies
- Assist with project plans and specifications, preparing cost and quantity take-off estimates
- Construction observation activities may include performing construction staking, performing construction administration duties such as documenting activities, measuring and testing, providing general oversight, and interacting with contractors, sub-contractors, residents and City staff.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college
- Certified Engineer-in-Training (or ability to obtain within 12 months)
- Experience in either infrastructure design and/or construction observation
- Effective interpersonal written & verbal communication skills
- Strong time management, organizational and problem solving skills
- Advanced math skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite. (MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge and skills in CAD and design software.(i.e. AutoCAD Civil3D, Microstation)
- Developing knowledge of specialized design software. (i.e. hydrocad, watercad, stormcad, sewercad, xpswmm)
- Ability to obtain & maintain DOT Level 1 coursework in bituminous, concrete, grading & base construction within 1 year of employment. Erosion control and State Aid documentation training as needed
- Requires frequent travel during construction season, may include extended overnight stays
- Possess a valid drivers license as travel to various facilities and job sites may be required
WHY BOLTON & MENK?
For over 70 years Bolton & Menk, Inc. has served public and private clients with comprehensive planning, design and construction engineering and surveying services. The employees at Bolton & Menk are seeking hard working and ambitious co-workers to join us to deliver tomorrows leading infrastructure projects. Bolton & Menk is employee-owned, is ranked among ENRs Top 500 Design Firms and is a Star Tribune Top200Workplace in Minnesota. With over 700 employees in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, North Carolina, and South Carolina, there are always new challenges and career development opportunities available. Learn more about our history here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/about-us/
At Bolton & Menk, we value our people and provide an exceptional Total Compensation and Benefits Package to protect our most valuable asset. We are committed to the well-being of our employees and their families. Perks of being a Bolton & Menk employee include peace of mind with our benefits package and competitive compensation plan, flexible schedules, and career development opportunities. Learn more here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/careers
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bolton & Menk does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party agencies in response to Bolton & Menk job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. Pre-approval from the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team is required before any external candidate can be submitted and such candidate must be submitted to the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team.
It is our responsibility and privilege to embrace the diversity of people, thoughts, and experiences necessary to develop infrastructure systems that serve all people. Bolton & Menk, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.