Opportunity Finance Network (OFN) is looking for an Investment Officer to evaluate new investments and assist to manage OFN's investments in CDFIs. The Investment Officer will analyze primarily debt investment opportunities in CDFIs using loan portfolio and financial statement data and in-depth conversations with organizations' senior management teams. Expect to develop relationships with OFN's members and work across OFN's teams to support OFN's mission.
Opportunity Finance Network (OFN) is a leading national network of CDFIs (community development financial institutions) headquartered in Washington D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 300+ member CDFIs with money, strength, and voice to drive transformational change in underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn't reach.
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs headquartered in Washington, D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 360+ member CDFIs to drive transformational change in financially underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial institutions such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently, OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio of more than $150 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheets of nearly $1 billion and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit www.ofn.org
People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. If you:
- Have a passion for the mission and true believer in our core purpose
- Have courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income and low-wealth communities
- Are a smart, quick seekers of knowledge who thrive on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean in to support all areas of our work
Come be a part of our growing, diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. At OFN, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply nonetheless. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. All staff currently work a hybrid schedule.
- Prepare and present impact, credit, and financial risk analyses memorandums to OFN senior leadership and respective investment committees with some guidance.
- Analyze CDFIs' financial statements, loan portfolios, lending policies and procedures, management teams, and strategies to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit, as well as recommend risk mitigation strategies with some guidance.
- Generate financial ratios and models to evaluate borrowers' current and prospective financial status.
- Actively participate in the portfolio management of OFN's investments. Ensure borrowers maintain compliance with quarterly covenants and strengthen borrower relationships.
- Generate loan and investment opportunities by developing relationships with OFN's CDFI members.
- Coordinate with team members to complete loan closings, documentation, and fund disbursements.
- Collaborate with the financial services team to maintain accurate borrower and loan information.
- As part of the financial services team, assist with the development and implementation of investment strategies, policies, and procedures. Support OFN's participation in the CDFI Bond Guarantee Program as requested.
- Work across OFN's teams to support OFN's mission.
- 3+ years of work experience or graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Bachelor's degree OR 7-10 years direct work experience in lieu of degree required.
- Experience writing and presenting analysis with emphasis on clarity, conciseness, and relevance.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles with ability to apply knowledge to performing financial analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with superior interpersonal skills and ability to work well with diverse constituents.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently under minimal supervision as well as ability to set priorities and meet deadlines under pressure without sacrificing quality.
- Credit analysis and underwriting knowledge is a plus.
- Knowledge of the CDFI industry is a plus.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel and financial modeling skills.
- Digital literacy and ability to navigate workplace technology.
- Comfort working in a small office environment and/or experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred.
- Some travel required (15% of time).
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
OFN offers a generous benefit package. Highlights include:
- A hybrid work environment (2 days in office/3 days remote)
- We pay 87-94% of medical, vision, and dental benefits
- Staff receive 24 days of paid time off and 16 paid holidays
- Paid life insurance, short term disability, and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave program
- 403(b) retirement plan
- A collaborative work environment focused on professional development
- And much more!
Supervisor's Title: SVP, Investment and Portfolio Management
FLSA Status: Exempt
To apply submit cover letter and resume to: