Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Grounds Laborer. We have two, full-time, benefitted positions open.
APPLICATION PRIORITY DATE: Feb 28, 2023
This position performs routine janitorial and custodial work in assigned areas as well as routine manual work in a variety of indoor and outdoor work areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide manual assistance to other workers and use various types of hand and small power tools such as: hammer, saw, axe, drill, backpack blowers, and shovels.
- Provide minor adjustments, basic maintenance, and repairs to various types of hand and small power equipment.
- Assist with setting out flares, traffic control devices, and provide work site protection, as directed.
- Assist with manually dig trenches, fence post holes, and other holes using hand tools.
- Load and unload materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Drive pickup trucks, sedans, and other small motorized vehicles in connection with manual work activities.
- Work with heavy duty equipment such as pressure washers, floor machines, carpet cleaners, etc.
- Assist in set-ups, room arrangements, and office relocations as such as in the set-up and removal of chairs, risers, portable turnstiles, and flooring.
- Pick up trash, sweep floors, dust, wash, disinfect, vacuum, and perform other tasks to keep areas clean. Clean, wax and polish floors. Operate handheld scrubbers and polishers.
- Perform routine custodial work on a comfort station route without a lead worker.
- Clean restrooms, facilities, and offices in assigned building and building areas.
- Gather and dispose of trash and wastes; replenish restroom supplies, wash walls and windows, dust furniture, and polish metal work. Remove trash around buildings.
- Clean lighting fixtures, windows, windowsills, screens, tops of windows, doorframes, and other high areas.
- Sweep outside areas and sidewalks.
- Perform indoor and/or outdoor litter control and cleaning tasks.
- Assist in the installation, repair, and maintenance of chain link fences, backstops, benches, signs, and bleachers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one (1) or more months related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid Washington Driver’s License.
- Basic computer skills and ability to access email and submit online timesheets.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standard situations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s core values.
- This position must regularly lift or move up to 35 pounds, frequently lift and or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/r move up to 75 pounds.
- A considerable amount of walking and standing is required.
- This position is frequently required to kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to typical office environments and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes, or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in work environments varies.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant. This role is not remote. Successful applicants must live and work in Washington State to perform this role.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
APPLICATION PRIORITY DATE: Feb 28, 2023
Pay: $27.18 per hour
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume is required and cover letter is optional.
Woodland Park Zoo is pleased to offer a comprehensive program of group benefits to help maintain your and your family’s health and wellbeing. These include:
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 11 paid holidays, 2 personal holidays
- Vacation and sick accrual
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free zoo membership that includes zoo admission and discounts
- 4 complimentary tickets per year plus other discounts and perks
- Free staff parking
- Working for an organization that cares about wildlife conservation!
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.