This position plays a key role in the development and implementation of manufacturing process improvements that drive new performance levels for accountability, consistency, safety, quality, productivity, and cost.
Responsible for and manages the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing areas as well as directing and monitoring the activities of the supervisors. Responsible for managing production related activities in a manner that provides a safe work environment with high part quality in sufficient quantities to meet internal and external customer requirements. Participates in developing and or revising production methods to incorporate Lean Manufacturing principles.
Mold Area Manager is responsible for the following areas: Mold, Sinter, Sizing, Tumble.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Follows all IATF16949 Procedures and Work Instructions in the performance of these duties.
- Coordinate and direct ALL safety activities along with safety committee meetings, training, and or assignments. Maintain a culture of “Safety-First Mentality”
- Support any and all environmental requirements.
- Provide a safe, working environment for associates and represent yourself as a role model.
- Daily expectation of your time on the production floor is 80% and 20% office time.
- Directs and manages the activities of the company’s 7S program.
- Manages plant priorities within your area of responsibility and work closely with associates and all managers.
- Oversees activities directly related to making products or providing services and identifies issues that may inhibit output or result in poor performance and or schedule attainment.
- Reviews manufacturing performance to established metrics and leads improvement efforts as necessary to meet company objectives.
- Applies Lean Manufacturing techniques to improve safety, quality, and productivity.
- Implements and assigns departmental goals, objectives, and procedures, based on business plan objectives.
- Works closely with manufacturing supervisors to document skill matrix and training plans, equipment assessments and repairs, dispatch shortfalls.
- Makes assignments to investigate and resolve process disruptions as necessary.
- Determines staffing requirements, supports interviewing, hiring, and training of new employees.
- Resolves production problems by analyzing data, reviewing equipment uptime, evaluating manufacturing process and develop solutions to improve.
- Develop and execute the operating plan that is consistent with strategy and financial imperatives and is in sync with the other operating units and plants.
- Take a proactive role in responding to customer concerns as they relate to the quality of product and service delivered to the customer. Both external and internal customers.
- Lead the development of individuals in the organization to model “energized employees” and guide the operational team.
- Ensure that Manufacturing meets the financial targets, operating metrics, and customer expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Frequently review the Quality of products following each process and provide feedback to manufacturing to keep everyone in tune with the process.
- Directs and Monitor Supervisors in teaching Manufacturing personnel the required skills:
- Safety “Zero accident mentality”
- Quality “Zero Defect Mentality”
- Scrap improvements activities
- Stay positive and communicate to keep morale high
- Housekeeping / 7S activities
- Focus on Productivity / Machine uptime
- Control Cost in all areas.
- Verify that documented procedures and instructions are being followed:
- Safety protocol “Lock out tag out”
- Standard Operating Procedures.
- Work Instructions.
- Reaction Plans.
- Process Set-up and or Inspection Instructions.
- Preventive Maintenance Instructions.
- Alert systems.
- Facilitate communications:
- Review Production Reports and verify for accuracy
- Overlap communications between shifts.
- Maintain monthly metrics
- Plan changes for minimum disruption between cells and operations
- Coordinate changeovers / setups at required operations and focus to reduce change over times
- Support Production Control, Maintenance, Tooling, Engineering
Provide feedback to management on process and operation concerns
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Respected by peers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Understands requirements of many jobs performed by the team.
- Assertive and flexible.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Understands different decision making and problem-solving techniques.
- Demonstrates ability to act with limited direction.
- Communication skills necessary to work with people outside the team.
- Understands the system for procuring resources for the team.
- Demonstrates ability to get results through others.
- Strong listening and communication skills.
- Strong PC skill, including experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc).
- High degree of self-motivation.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Well established skills related to presentation development (MS PowerPoint) and delivery.
- Ability to champion problem solving processes to resolve issues.
- Ability to lead continuous improvement techniques to improve processes within APG Sintered Metals.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED (Associate Degree in Applied Science in Business, Engineering or Manufacturing preferred) or equivalent work experience in the Manufacturing function. Requires 10-years’ experience in manufacturing operations. A working knowledge of powder metal processing in Molding, Sintering, Sizing, and machining is preferred.
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence and procedures. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Strong background in statistics. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must hold a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in is usually moderate in the office and loud in the manufacturing area. Appropriate PPE must be worn where required.