Bolton & Menk specializes in providing community infrastructure solutions. We have over 70 years of experience serving the Upper Midwest and beyond. We are looking to add a Civil Design Engineer - Municipal to our team in our Ames, Iowa office. As a Des Moines Register Iowa Top Workplace, this is a fantastic opportunity to work with a great team of professionals and grow your career!
We are looking to add a Civil Design Engineer - Municipal who will help foster our mission that All People Should Live in a Safe, Sustainable and Beautiful Community! We are passionate about using collaboration to lead us to the right solution. A solution that can be planned for and funded. A lasting solution that not only works today but long into the future. Our expertise offers a fresh, engaging approach to solve multi-faceted problems involving technical, regulatory, and community issues.
What you will be doing:
- Learn practical on-the-job experience serving our municipalities throughout Iowa.
- Assist Project Engineers with design and construction phase activities on municipal projects
- Perform basic design computations, preliminary layout and design, research and prepare rough drafts of preliminary reports and feasibility studies
- Assist with project plans and specifications, preparing cost and quantity take-off estimates
- Construction observation activities may include performing construction staking, performing construction administration duties such as documenting activities, measuring and testing, providing general oversight, and interacting with contractors, sub-contractors, residents and City staff.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college.
- Ability to obtain Certified Engineer-in-Training
- Effective interpersonal written & verbal communication skills
- Strong time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Advanced math skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite. (MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge and skills in CAD and design software.(i.e. AutoCAD Civil3D, Microstation)
- Developing knowledge of specialized design software. (i.e. hydrocad, watercad, stormcad, sewercad, xpswmm)
- Ability to obtain & maintain DOT Level 1 coursework in bituminous, concrete, grading & base construction within 1 year of employment. Erosion control and State Aid documentation training as needed
- Ability to actively listen to others for understanding of their needs and situations; ability to read, speak, and write English clearly is required. This position interacts with City staff, City residents, contractors, and sub-contractors.
- Requires frequent travel during construction season, may include extended overnight stays
- Possess a valid drivers license as travel to various facilities and job sites may be required
WHY BOLTON & MENK?
For over 70 years Bolton & Menk, Inc. has served public and private clients with comprehensive planning, design and construction engineering and surveying services. The employees at Bolton & Menk are seeking hard-working and ambitious co-workers to join us to deliver tomorrow’s leading infrastructure projects. Bolton & Menk is employee-owned, is ranked among ENRs Top 500 Design Firms, a Star Tribune Top 200 Workplace in Minnesota and a Des Moines Register Top Workplace. With over 900 employees in Colorado, Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, North Carolina, and South Carolina, there are always new challenges and career development opportunities available. Learn more about our history here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/about-us/
At Bolton & Menk, we value our people and provide an exceptional Total Compensation and Benefits Package to protect our most valuable asset. We are committed to the well-being of our employees and their families. Perks of being a Bolton & Menk employee include peace of mind with our benefits package and competitive compensation plan, flexible schedules, and career development opportunities. Learn more here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/careers
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bolton & Menk does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party agencies in response to Bolton & Menk job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. Pre-approval from the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team is required before any external candidate can be submitted and such candidate must be submitted to the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team.
It is our responsibility and privilege to embrace the diversity of people, thoughts, and experiences necessary to develop infrastructure systems that serve all people. Bolton & Menk, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer including disability and vets.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.