Marketing Student Assistant (Global ASI) - Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Coordinator — Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing, the Marketing Student Assistant addresses the needs of the Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing Department and ASI Programs in researching implementing, and developing guidelines and procedures for marketing and communications of the ASI brand and events. This highly motivated and creative individual is responsible for coordinating production and distribution of promotional materials and requests, gathering content and administering ASI’s social media marketing strategy, developing strategies to increase participation in sponsored activities and programs, and representing the ASI brand across ASI social media platforms and at events as needed.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff
- must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0
- cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Marketing, journalism, or public relations major preferred
- Must be highly organized and have great time management and planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Photography skills preferred
- Demonstrated experience in social and digital media
- Experience with marketing, advertising, communications, public relations, or customer service
- Experience with administration, supervision, leadership, or management
- Experience with ASI program participation preferred
- General knowledge of program services
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
- Positive attitude, detail and customer-oriented with excellent multitasking abilities
- Supervise program participants and volunteers on occasion
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with ensuring that ASI Program identity standards, professionalism, and consistency are maintained and met through production of collateral material, display cases, promotional material, and marketing information
- Assist with the development, implementation, and revisions of the ASI Marketing/Communication Plan
- Generate creative, original content and assist with management of ASI’s social media marketing strategy across all platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Snap Chat
- Create and disseminate digital content, including but not limited to apps, e-newsletters, press releases, and presentations for ASI programs and services
- Coordinate and/or assist with program area assessment efforts
- Gather and organize content for graphic requests and communication plans
- Distribute final digital assets to appropriate areas for posting
- Post and deliver marketing materials; distribute materials to ASI Programs and other campus organizations
- Set-up promotional displays
- Work as ASI representative at events when available
- Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude in order to provide excellent customer service
- Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff and co-workers
- Assist in the coordination of special projects, including but not limited to sponsorships, scheduling, contracts, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of public relations and marketing for ASI Programs and Services
- Develop and implement creative and original marketing strategies and tactics
- Assist in planning special promotions or events
- Act as liaison and outreach facilitator between campus groups/clubs/residence halls, promotional agencies and ASI Programs
- Collaborate with other program areas
- Assist and when necessary, coordinate photographers or videographers and participants during promotional photo or video shoots
- Collaborate with ASI graphic designers, photographers, and videographers on marketing campaigns and collateral material
- Research, identify, and apply new strategies or tools for marketing, outreach, and communication efforts
- Assist in determining the needs of the Cal Poly campus community through surveys, focus groups, etc.
- Hold regularly scheduled office hours
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Maintain prompt hours and follow absence procedures
- Act as a program ambassador at all times with extensive program knowledge
- Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
- Other duties as assigned
Diversity and Inclusion
- Recommend and support practices intended to eliminate racial, gender, or any other form of bias in processes, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrate awareness of one’s own biases, comfort levels, and various aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Demonstrate effort to understand each person’s individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments.
- Participate in trainings and activities provided by ASI as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locator (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county, and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree).
Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Checks, and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour ($15.50 starting 12/24/2022); 15 hours needed (maximum 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes).
Start Date: ASAP
Date Revised: 11/07/2022
Date of Last Equity Review: March 2020