We believe all people should live in safe, sustainable, and beautiful communities and a well-built, safe, multi-modal transportation network is key to realizing this vision. Our work in the Midwest is fast expanding. To keep up with our growing firm and the increased amount of project opportunities throughout Iowa, Bolton & Menk, Inc. is looking for a traffic engineer to provide a key role in transportation studies and design.
Bolton & Menk is a regional, employee-owned consulting engineer firm with over 70 years of experience serving the Upper Midwest and beyond. Named a 2022 Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register, we are excited to present a great opportunity to expand your traffic career and work with a team of professionals at the hub of transportation for our firm in Iowa.
Bolton & Menk is in search of a Traffic Engineer to join our team to support our Iowa market. We are looking for a communicative and passionate Traffic Engineer to join our office locations in Downtown Des Moines or Downtown Cedar Rapids. We are flexible in establishing an office location that is the best fit for the right candidate to serve our municipal and DOT clients throughout Iowa.
What will you be doing day to day?
As a traffic engineer, you will collaborate daily with your team of designers and EITs. You can take advantage of flexible hours with the ability to work remotely as needed. You will be at the helm of the decision making, taking a lead role in the delivery of a variety of traffic study and transportation design projects. Study work includes traffic impact studies, intersection control studies, multimodal integration studies and safety studies for new developments, intersection re-configurations, roundabouts, and large roadway corridor modifications. You will have the opportunity to work with project managers to lead elements of traffic design including traffic signal and roadway lighting plans, signing and striping plans, and traffic control plans. You will assist our municipal team by providing geometric design guidance from a traffic perspective. We have the latest traffic count equipment, design, and traffic modeling software so that you are well equipped with the right tools you need to get the job done. Best of all, you will be mentored and supported by Senior Traffic staff located right here in Iowa to provide guidance and insight along the way.
We are looking to add an enthusiastic, communicative, and positive team member who is self-motivated and desires an opportunity to take charge, make decisions, and lead projects to completion in a supportive, team environment. If you are ready to be part of a great team and really make a difference, you’re exactly what we need!
- Lead a team of EITs to complete traffic studies including data collection, analysis, findings and recommendations. Present findings to clients, elected officials, and public stakeholders
- Provide support to transportation and municipal project managers in transportation related design, traffic signal and roadway lighting plans, signing and striping plans, staging and traffic control plans
- Develops, coordinates and completes the final design and the preparation of plans, specifications and estimates associated with traffic design work
- Coordinates the construction administration of signal and traffic management projects
- Plans and organizes technical project work assignments
- Directs & supervises the work of other engineers and technicians
- Assists with the training and development of professional and technical staff
- Establishes specialty area of expertise in traffic engineering design
- Travels periodically to work site and other project related locations
Education and Experience:
- B.S. Degree in Engineering from an accredited college
- Currently registered as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Iowa or able to obtain within six (6) months
- Generally, requires six (6) years of progressive experience or Master’s Degree plus five (5) years of progressive experience
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (P.T.O.E.) preferred, not required
- Thorough knowledge in related software (i.e. Microstation, Synchro, MS Excel and Word)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Possess a valid driver's license and is insurable at firm's standard rates
WHY BOLTON & MENK?
For over 70 years Bolton & Menk, Inc. has served public and private clients with comprehensive planning, design and construction engineering and surveying services. The employees at Bolton & Menk are seeking hard working and ambitious co-workers to join us to deliver tomorrows leading infrastructure projects. Bolton & Menk is employee-owned, is ranked among ENRs Top 500 Design Firms and is a Star Tribune Top200Workplace in Minnesota. With over 700employees in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, North Carolina, and South Carolina, there are always new challenges and career development opportunities available. Learn more about our history here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/about-us/
At Bolton & Menk, we value our people and provide an exceptional Total Compensation and Benefits Package to protect our most valuable asset. We are committed to the well-being of our employees and their families. Perks of being a Bolton & Menk employee include peace of mind with our benefits package and competitive compensation plan, flexible schedules, and career development opportunities. Learn more here:https://www.bolton-menk.com/careers
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bolton & Menk does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party agencies in response to Bolton & Menk job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. Pre-approval from the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team is required before any external candidate can be submitted and such candidate must be submitted to the Bolton & Menk Talent Acquisition team.
It is our responsibility and privilege to embrace the diversity of people, thoughts, and experiences necessary to develop infrastructure systems that serve all people. Bolton & Menk, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.