The Accountant complies with standardized Accounting practices and/or methods and works under limited supervision. The Accountant is responsible for preparing and entering journal entries to the General Ledger system, analyzing and reconciling transactions within General Ledger accounts and activities from subsidiary ledgers to ensure accurate recording and closing of financial statements. The Accountant is responsible to comply with legal regulations and generally accepted accounting principles. The Accountant will also assist in projecting future financial needs, taking into consideration the various projects undertaken by the organizations and also provide support to Senior Leaders and Directors in management of financial resources by means of a fiscally sound and Board approved capital and operations budget. The Accountant will also be responsible for assisting with and/or processing payroll functions.
- Develop and maintain hospital-wide fiscal budgets and communicate with and/or train departments on budgetary financial operations and system.
- Upload GL and statistics into budgeting system to generate reports for management and departments.
- Reviews monthly budget forecast with CFO, makes recommendations for upcoming forecast.
- Assist and collaborate for the purpose of providing support, documentation and/or information on internal processes.
- Assist with or complete accounting functions and general ledger transactions as needed and/or assigned for the purpose of ensuring that department functions are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Analyze accounts within the General Ledger system to ensure that transactions have been posted correctly and that month-end and year-end balances fairly represent TCRHCC’s financial status.
- Prepare and enter journal entries in a manner consistent with existing TCRHCC procedures to accurately record financial transactions.
- Make authorized wire transfers and reconcile daily and monthly cash and banking statements
- Coordinate and resolve various banking issues, such as clear check differences, bank fee anomalies and targeted balance calculations.
- Inform other staff regarding procedural requirements for the purpose of facilitating financial compliance within established practices.
- Participates in meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Assist external auditors in the performance of annual audits of financial records.
- Observes departmental/corporate internal control procedures; reports suspected irregularities to the appropriate manager.
- Performs compliance research and monitors legislation and regulatory restrictions on funding.
- Monitor and audit account coding of vendor payment vouchers to ensure accurate posting to the GL.
- Assists in preparing and entering journal entries in the GL system in a manner consistent with existing TCRHCC procedures to accurately record financial transaction of various types.
- Inform supervisor and colleagues of erroneous transactions and miscoded entries in the GL in a prompt manner and ensure errors are corrected.
- Assists with biweekly payroll, including the production and distribution of payroll checks and required reports
- Assists with maintenance of timesheets and payroll-related documents in a consistent manner to allow efficient examination by management staff and external auditors.
- Monitors and audits pay amounts, tax, benefits, and other deductions to ensure accurate payments to employees and accurate accruals of benefits.
- Assist with and/or prepare the filing and payment of payroll-related taxes, benefits, deductions and other required reports with the appropriate agencies or benefits administrators.
- Assists in processing and distributing W-2’s at calendar year-end within legally prescribed time frames.
- Assist with developing and maintaining hospital-wide fiscal budget and communicating with departments on budgetary financial operations.
- Develops and maintains an adequate knowledge of accounting principles as they pertain to TCRHCC.
- Develops and maintains a thorough working knowledge of TCRHCC’s computerized financial, payroll, and AP systems.
- Ensure proper PPE is always worn while on duty including but not limited to, face mask, gloves, gown, isolation gown, NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator or higher, if available), and eye or face shield.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. (see CDC website for most current updates)
- Complete task training for all routine cleaning and decontamination processes for all surfaces contaminated by a communicable disease to ensure a high level of patient, visitor, employee and external customer satisfaction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Require the ability to sit for a prolonged period of time, frequently walk, and occasionally stand, drive, bend, climb, kneel, crouch, twist, maintain balance, and reach. Must be able to occasionally lift, push, and pull over 100lbs. Sensory requirements for position include prolonged far vision, near vision, color vision, depth perception, seeing fine details, hearing normal speech, hearing overhead pages, and frequent telephone use. Must have ability of both hand manipulation in prolonged use of keyboard, frequent simple grasping, and occasional firm grasping, and fine manipulation.
Must be able to use good judgment, prioritize projects, and coordinate multiple assignments while meeting internal and external deadlines. Must be able to coordinate a variety of issues while being frequently interrupted. Must have ability of prolonged concentration, frequently able to cope with high level of stress, handle a high degree of flexibility, handle multiple priorities in stressful situation, occasionally make decisions under high pressure, cope with anger/fear/hostility of others in a calm way, manage altercations, work alone, demonstrate high degree of patience, adapt to shift work, and work in areas that are close and crowded. Must frequently accept a flexible schedule to meet unit needs.
May occasionally be exposed to infectious diseases, chemical agents, dust, fumes, gases, extremes in temperature or humidity, hazardous or moving equipment, unprotected heights, and loud noises.
Level I/II/III: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of applicable experience in an accounting setting
- Demonstrated working knowledge of accounting functions
- Minimum of two (2) years of applicable experience in an accounting setting
- Demonstrated working knowledge of general accounting principles
- Minimum of three (3) years of applicable experience in healthcare financial accounting
- Demonstrated working knowledge of financial statement preparation and analysis
Proficiency in financial accounting system, Microsoft Office, and ability to use necessary equipment to perform job duties.
Other Skills and Abilities:
A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. All employment references must address and indicate success in each one of the following areas:
- Positive working relationships with others
- Possession of high ethical standards and no history of complaints
- Reliable and dependable; reports to work as scheduled without excessive absences
- Strong analytical and accounting skills
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty
- Completion of and above-satisfactory scores on all job interviews, demonstrating to the satisfaction of the interviewees and TCRHCC that the applicant can perform the essential functions of the job
- Successful completion of and positive results from all background and reference checks, including positive employment references from authorized representatives of past and current employers demonstrating to the satisfaction of TCRHCC a record of satisfactory performance and that the applicant can perform the essential functions of the job
- Successful completion of fingerprint clearance requirements, physical examinations, and other screenings indicating that the applicant is qualified to be employed by TCRHCC and demonstrating to the satisfaction of TCRHCC that the applicant can perform the essential functions of the job
- Submission of all required employment-related documents, applications, resumes, references, and other required information free of false, misleading or incomplete information, as determined by TCRHCC