Martin Count is currently accepting applications for a full-time Accountant in the Auditor-Treasurer's Department.
The Accountant performs various accounting functions for the County and assists the Auditor-Treasurer in preparation of periodic financial statements, and other financial reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists Auditor/Treasurer in preparation of periodic financial statements for audit purposes and fiscal reports detailing the fiscal financial status of the County and its programs, including preparing and presenting financial statements and other financial reports to the County Board.
- Assist Auditor/Treasurer in annual audit by the State Auditor’s Office including preparation of numerous worksheets and working papers and adjusting entries from external auditors as required.
- Assists the Auditor/Treasurer in preparing the Financial Reporting Form annually, as well as the Budget form for the State Auditor’s Office.
- Preparing journal entries in accordance with GAAP and GASB.
- Prepare the Summary Financial Statements and Budget for publication.
- Track federal and state grants revenue throughout the year.
- Prepare School Tax Abatement Reports.
- Assist in maintaining the Direct Debit Tax Program.
- Prepare the Unclaimed Property Report annually.
- Assist in bill payment as needed.
- Track MCARA loans, as well as SCDP Grant funds.
- Prepare amounts to be distributed for PILT and Forfeited Land Proceeds to the appropriate jurisdictions.
- Reconcile to the IFS system.
- Reconciles monthly bank statements.
- Responsible for maintaining a running total on all department books, collection books, warrant books and fund balance book.
- Maintains collateral data and makes necessary changes when needed.
- Assists the Auditor/Treasurer in making investments of County funds for short-term investments.
- Responsible for calculating the month end total collection and warrant registers to agree with reports generated by the IFS system.
- Enters tax payments into the computer system and run reports as required.
- Assists taxpayers with questions on tax statement and special assessments.
- Responsible for compiling capital asset expenditures and maintaining capital asset records on a regular basis.
- Assists in preparation of the County Budget as required.
- Performs various office tasks relating to database mailings, filing and general correspondence.
- Maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Prepares and provides budget reports and information for Department Heads and County Board.
- Assists with various election duties as required.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles the monthly checking account and other funds.
- Answer phones, collect property taxes, coordinate with escrow companies for tax payments.
- Participates in continuing education and training sessions on position applicable law and regulation changes, computer skills and other position related matters.
- Performs other work-related duties as required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties performed by personnel so classified.
ACCOUNTABILITY & DEPENDABILITY
- Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, and achieves results with limited oversight.
- Follows instructions and adheres to all County policies and procedures as required.
- Maintains an acceptable record of work attendance and punctuality in accordance with County and Department requirements.
ANALYSIS & REASONING
- Examines data to grasp issues, draw conclusions, and solve problems. Breaks down complex information into component parts. Sees underlying principles, patterns, or themes in an array of related information.
- Applies logic and complex layers of rules to analyze and categorize complicated information. Sees relationships between information in varied forms and from varied sources.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
- Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Checks work to ensure accuracy and completeness. Compares observations or finished work to what is expected to find inconsistencies.
- Follows fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
- Ensures all financial data is properly calculated and reported.
- Safeguards fiscal resources, and adheres to all internal control procedures designed to prevent and detect theft or misuse of funds. Remains alert to security breaches and reports problems.
- Seeks ways to improve internal controls.
PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT & INTEGRITY
- Demonstrates knowledge and actions consistent with the County’s values and the County’s code of ethics and conduct.
- Respects and maintains confidentiality.
- Demonstrates high moral principles and professional standards with others through truthfulness and sincerity; makes ethical decisions.
- Shows respect for others’ ideas, perspectives, and styles. Demonstrates appropriate business etiquette and social skills.
QUALITY OF WORK
- Maintains a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates the ability to use resources productively, effectively, and efficiently.
- Demonstrates the ability to think proactively, anticipates potential problems, and provides workable solutions and alternatives with a ‘can do’ approach.
- Develops and maintains good working knowledge of job responsibilities and prescribed procedures, which facilitates the efficient performance of duties. Takes initiative to utilize job knowledge to analyze situations, resolve problems, and reach decisions.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office equipment, practices and procedures including a computer and other basic office equipment.
- Software skills, including excellent typing skills, and the ability to use Microsoft Office products including but not limited to Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The position has good working conditions in general, but it is a diversified job requiring sustained mental effort related to public contacts, organizational issues, planning and technical areas.
The individual may encounter moderate emotional strain or tension. There is sustained exposure to sitting and standing. There is continuous exposure to computer keyboard data entry and video screens and moderate exposure to lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Continuous: Sit; Keyboarding; Repetitive movement; Considerable mental effort and stress; work requires high attention to detail; Work with frequent deadlines.
- Frequent: Walk; Lift or carry less than 10 lbs.; Lift or carry 11-25 lbs.; Inability to leave work station for long periods of time; Exposure to emotional public; Some mental effort and stress involved resulting in frustration.
- Occasional: Stand; Bend or stoop; Kneel or squat; Exposed to annoying odor; Exposed to sickening odor; Exposure to offensive language.
- Intermittent: Work with arms above shoulder; Limited mental effort and/or stress; Work alone.
This position is responsible for the use of county fleet vehicle, modern office machines and equipment.
Martin County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or similar field.
- Two years of progressive experience in related field along with the skills, knowledge and abilities required; or equivalent combined education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of State and County accounting requirements and regulations as well as Federal single audit requirements preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and terminology.
- Skills and abilities to apply accounting practices including the single audit requirements.
- Ability to perform moderately complex numerical calculations accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to operate general office equipment including proven proficiency in common office suite applications on a computer.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing and have good public relations skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, outside agencies, and the general public.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job.