|A pioneering not-for-profit affordable housing developer and community programs initiator in New York City, Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. has worked since 1969 to create more than 8,700 apartments through 64 affordable rental and homeownership development projects. Settlement Housing Fund presently owns and maintains 36 buildings containing 1,979 apartments in various locations, with concentrations of housing and programs in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, the Two Bridges neighborhood on the Lower East Side, as well as at other sites throughout Manhattan. We expect that our portfolio will continue to grow. Settlement Housing Fund is equally committed to bringing amenities, programs and services to communities we serve through the development and operation of affordable housing. Settlement Housing Fund is the parent organization of The Crenulated Company, LTD dba New Settlement which was created in 1989 with the acquisition of 14 abandoned buildings from the City of New York. New Settlement has evolved into a robust social service organization offering a range of community-based services in education, college access, youth development, arts, workforce development, community organizing, wellness and other key services that provide important resources to the neighborhood's youth and families. New Settlement's success has been achieved through close collaboration with a wide range of educational institutions, housing and community development organizations, businesses, youth development and social service agencies - in the neighborhood, Bronx-wide, across New York and nationally. The programs at New Settlement are supported by local, state and federal government agencies, as well as foundations, corporations, organizations and individuals.
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision, ensures all necessary equipment is available and ready to use for swimming and pool events. Provides swim instruction and water safety to students of all skill levels and age ranges based on their needs while embodying the values of New Settlement Community Center.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Conduct classes in a fun and gentle environment, following current teaching methods, policies and safety and emergency procedures as detailed in the New Settlement Community Center training manual, and as directed by the Aquatics Director.
- Attend staff meetings and in-service trainings as requested by Aquatics Director or Center Director.
- Cleaning up pool equipment at the end of shifts.
- Complete assignments such as certificate signing and progress reports prior to the specified deadline.
- Able to switch to the role of a Lifeguard if requested by management (Only if also employed as a Lifeguard).
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Must have experience teaching.
- CPR and First Aid Certified (current preferred - or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment).
- Work a flexible schedule that may include holidays and weekends as required by business needs and as requested by management.
- Enthusiastic, assertive personality with strong relationship and customer service skills.
- Effectively communicate with customers and employees. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
- Follows schedules and enforces safety procedures.
- Able to demonstrate swim strokes appropriately.
- Work in an environment where noise levels are usually moderate to high and stand in the water for up to 5 consecutive hours.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The ability to swim, sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to occasionally bend and or stoop.
- The ability to lift 30-50 pounds.
- The job is primarily performed in a pool environment.
- Warm temperature and high humidity
- Proximity to chemicals and hazard.
- Moderate to loud noise.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$19.00 - $21.00 per hour