Assists the Nursery Manager- conducts and leads in a wide range of duties common to a tree farm, including but not limited to: tree production planting, staking, tying, pruning, fertilization, inventory etc.; grounds and facilities maintenance; equipment procurement, maintenance and related tasks. The incumbent is able to successfully work with a wide variety of individuals, empowering them to instill an appreciation of tree production trade, ensuring a safe work environment, while maintaining quality and production standards.
- Assists in all aspects of tree production and grounds and facilities maintenance
- Supervises nursery field staff, seasonal, contract, temporary labor, and occasionally volunteers
- Ensures that safety protocols are internalized and followed for all staff
- Maintains field inventory with data tracking system developed for this purpose.
- Inventories/grades nursery stock, coordinates harvest and delivery
- Monitors nursery fields and farm landscapes for pest/disease
- Follows/develops pesticide application program using IPM protocols; orders and maintains pesticide inventory; maintains pesticide application records; applies pesticides according to all local/state/federal standards and ensures same of subordinate staff
- Develops/installs and maintains irrigation systems
- Operates farm equipment and powered (PTO) and ground-driven implements in field nursery and grounds maintenance operations, including tractors and track loader, mowers, auger, tree spade, chipper, sprayer, tillage implements, seed drill, wood splitter, stump grinder, pumps etc.
- Operates hand-held power tools and machinery in grounds and facilities maintenance operations, including chainsaws, line trimmers, blowers, drills, saws, etc.
- Performs routine equipment and small motor maintenance including oil and air filter changes, lubrication, blade sharpening, etc.
- Performs nursery production tasks including planting, pruning, suckering, tying and staking, inventory, weeding, spot-spraying, mulching, etc.
- Drives truck and trailer to accomplish various tasks
- Conducts/leads nursery tours, educational and related events as required
- Remains current on industry trends/practices in horticulture/urban forestry
- Attends relevant trade shows, seminars and educational events
- Connects people to trees
- Other duties as assigned
The incumbent will supervise Farm Crew, Senior Farm Crew, and Farm Crew Chiefs in the field.
The incumbent works in the office and in the field. Must be able to use equipment such as (not an exclusive list): desktop computer; smart phones; automobile; pickup truck with trailer; small, motorized equipment; various hand tools such as shovels, rakes, saws, ladders, and pruning shears, etc.
- Use of equipment and lifting to plant and maintain trees
- Working outside year-round in the heat, cold and inclement weather
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to sit, talk, and hear. The incumbent is constantly required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk. The incumbent is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds frequently and occasionally up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a fulltime, exempt position, averaging 40 or more hours a week. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed.
The starting salary is $70,000-$75,000 per year. Housing stipend provided. Medical, dental, and vision insurance are 100% covered by Casey Trees for employees. Casey Trees also offers a competitive paid time off program, retirement match, and other benefits.
Please note that final candidates will be subject to a background check and employment verifications at time of conditional offer.
Travel is primarily local, although some out of the area travel and overnights may be expected.