The Chief Financial Officer provides strategic financial leadership and support on the evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions, mergers, construction projects and investments and other issues affecting the operating/capital budgets, including ROI management. Considers all organizational activities both the impact on TCRHCC financial health. Assures that the Finance Committee and BOD receive timely, adequate, accurate and understandable financial information to support strategic decision-making; provides training for the Board Finance Committee. Informs the staff of the hospital’s financial status, to include appropriate financial and statistical aspects of current and anticipated operations. Represents TCRHCC in the community and reports at various Federal, Tribal, and local meetings and reporting functions. Works closely with the CEO, Senior Leaders, and the BOD to accomplish goals of the strategic plan. Stays abreast of healthcare trends and regulations; evaluates and addresses the opportunities and threats associated with healthcare environmental change.
- Works closely with the CEO to accomplish the goals and objectives of the strategic plan in cooperation with the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership.
- Functions as administrator on call or Acting CEO in the absence of the CEO or as delegated and as needed.
- Provides professional advice and knowledge for TCRHCC Senior Leadership team
- Acts as senior level advisor on financial issues to Senior Leadership and all levels throughout the organization.
- Develops and monitors the long and short range operational and capital budgets which are supported by TCRHCC’s long and short range plans and objectives.
Responsibilities to Board of Directors
- Provides leadership for the Board Financial Committee
- Provides Financial services and leadership to Navajo Hopi Health Foundation
- Develops a cohesive relationship for the senior management team and fiscal services by providing timely and accurate analysis of budget and financial reports that will assist the CEO, the Board, and other senior managers in performing their responsibilities.
- Provides strategic financial leadership and support on the evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions, mergers, pension funds, employee benefits and organizational investments and/or other issues affecting the business
- Ensures timely and accurate budget analysis and financial review for the management team
- Stays abreast of trends and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance for the finance and information technology functions
- Reviews processes for continual improvement in the budget process through education of the Board of Directors and Senior Executives on financial issues impact on their budgets and those of TCRHCC.
- Develops a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanisms which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs of TCRHCC in coordination with the Board of Directors.
- Provides direction and oversight of Supply Chain Management and asset management.
- Oversees the selection, management and operation of Financial services systems and software with other corporate systems and software (e.g. Oracle, RPMS, etc.)
- Performs Pro Forma analysis and projections as needed
- Is responsible for all financial audits required by federal, tribal and vendor requirements
- Monitors, provides input and requests reports etc., re: benefit programs, retirement committee, etc.
- Committee representative or provides designee for all matters re Finance, Compliance and Purchased Referred Care.
- Responsible for oversight of Grants management, reporting and audits.
- Responsible for Revenue Cycle and HIM (Health Information Management) operations and management.
- Review and work with Title V contractors/legal regarding funding table review and recommendations.
- Oversees and is responsible for Purchase Referred Care processes and operations.
- Works with staff developing and maintaining Internal Control processes in accordance with policy, and regulatory practice.
- Works cohesively with the Human Resources team for all Payroll processes of the organization.
- Participates, recommends, and leads financial strategic planning.
- Builds, develops, and manages a leadership team capable of meeting management objectives for the Fiscal Services division, linking business units to operational strategies
- Evaluates the Fiscal Services division structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth.
- Provides coaching and leadership to Fiscal Services management team as well as other management personnel to assure compliance, employee, and patient satisfaction and to create and maintain a work environment with high morale and productivity.
- Represents TCRHCC in the community and at various community functions
- Ensure proper PPE is always worn while on duty including but not limited to, face mask, gloves, gown, isolation gown, NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator or higher, if available), and eye or face shield.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. (see CDC website for most current updates)
- Complete task training for all routine cleaning and decontamination processes for all surfaces contaminated by a communicable disease to ensure a high level of patient, visitor, employee, and external customer satisfaction.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires an individual of high energy that can maintain a long and flexible schedule to meet the leadership requirements of this position. Includes long periods sitting in meetings; intense work on a computer; frequent walking to reach locations in the facility and standing; occasional reaching, bending, light carrying of files, documents, and requires ability to travel to attend Conferences and Meetings off campus. Must have ability to occasionally climb, kneel, crouch and twist. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 34lbs and push/pull occasionally over 100lbs. Must have ability of far vision, near vision, color vision, depth perception, seeing fine details, hearing normal speech, hearing overhead pages and telephone use. Must have ability of simple/firm grasping and fine manipulation of both hands and use of keyboard.
Uses independent judgment and analytical skills to make decisions that impact the delivery of patient care and customer service within the organization and to carry out all responsibilities related to this position. Must have ability to continuously concentrate, frequently cope with high levels of stress, make decisions under high pressure, handle high degree of flexibility, handle multiple priorities in stressful situation, work alone, demonstrate high degree of patience, work in areas that are close and crowded; and occasionally cope with anger/fear/hostility of others in a calm way, manage altercations, and adapt to shift work. Must accept a flexible schedule to meet unit needs.
May occasionally be exposed to infectious diseases, chemical agents, dust, fumes, gases, extremes in temperature or humidity, hazardous or moving equipment, unprotected heights, and loud noises.
Master’s degree in finance, and/or Accounting, Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA)Certification.
- Ten years of progressively responsible finance experience within a healthcare organization providing acute care and outpatient services, five years of which involved a senior level financial management experience, with the understanding of both private and government financial management systems.
- Experience working with information technology systems, including finance and accounting software packages, and electronic health records (E.H.R) revenue cycle modules and HIM management.
Other Skills and Abilities:
A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. All employment references must address and indicate success in each one of the following areas:
- Positive working relationships with others; works effectively in team relationships
- Possession of high ethical standards and no history of complaints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and highly confidential information
- Knowledge in managing multiple assignments of considerable difficulty or complexity
- Understands and stays abreast of political, financial, and economic issues and trends that may impact business operations, planning, and investments
- Demonstrates strategic vision with sound technical skills and analytical ability
- Excellent negotiator experienced in contract management
- An ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents and respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Successful completion of and positive results from all background and reference checks, including positive employment references from authorized representatives of past and current employers demonstrating to the satisfaction of TCRHCC a record of satisfactory performance and that the applicant can perform the essential functions of the job
- Successful completion of fingerprint clearance requirements, physical examinations, and other screenings indicating that the applicant is qualified to be employed by TCRHCC and demonstrating to the satisfaction of TCRHCC that the applicant can perform the essential functions of the job
- Submission of all required employment-related documents, applications, resumes, references, and other required information free of false, misleading, or incomplete information, as determined by TCRHCC.