Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Security Officer. We have two, temporary, part-time, variable hour, non benefitted positions open.
Maintains the safety and welfare of zoo staff, premises, collection, equipment and visitors. Provides 24 hour coverage, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Provides First Aid (and EMT as applicable) services to staff and public. Teaches First Aid, First Responder and CPR classes to staff. Patrols grounds via foot, bicycle or vehicle.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrol grounds on foot, on bike or in vehicle including parking lots and associated parks.
- Provide assistance and service to zoo visitors and staff.
- Ensure the safety of visitors and staff.
- Enforce zoo rules and regulations, city codes.
- Provide First Aid to zoo visitors and staff.
- EMTs provide advance medical evaluation and assistance.
- EMTs teach First Aid, CPR and First Responder training to staff yearly.
- Frequent, consistent use of zoo radio system.
- Responsible for maintenance, upkeep and distribution of zoo radio system.
- Contact department for Security System monitoring company.
- Maintain records for both radio and security systems.
- Maintain accident/incident report and daily security report files.
- Monitor facility for property damage, potential safety hazards.
- Work with SFD and SPD on incidents and investigations.
- Investigate incidents and write reports.
- Participate in zoo emergency drills.
- Serve on zoo Emergency Response Team.
- Check security of facilities overnight, including perimeter, buildings and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to successfully complete a physical examination
- Ability to work with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Ability to drive a zoo vehicle; ability to ride a bike preferred.
- Ability to deal with guests in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to regularly work a non-standard/flexible schedule that may include weekends, evenings/graveyard shift and/or holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
Associate’s degree from an accredited two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
- Valid US driver’s license required.
- CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Successful completion of physical examination and background investigation is required.
Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to have a sense of smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; wet/humid conditions, work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration and proximity to potentially dangerous animals, although in a controlled situation. This position may come into contact with potentially abusive/threatening people in enforcement of regulations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Pay: $24.46 per hour
Applicants must be at least 18 years old. A criminal background check, driving record review, and pre-employment physical will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume and cover letter is required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.