Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as an Assistant Gardener. We have number two, part-time, temporary, non-benefitted positions open.
This is a limited duration, grant-funded position and is intended to last 5 months.
This position is supporting the zoo’s animal browse program. It involves the collection and distribution of plant material to animal units. It is 3 days a week, Friday-Sunday.
Performs semi-skilled to skilled horticultural tasks in assigned area by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the propagating, planting, cultivating, watering, and fertilizing of flowers, plants, shrubs, trees, and other plant materials.
- Plant bulbs, annuals, perennials, ground cover, shrubs, and trees.
- Under supervision, operate spray equipment to apply herbicides and pesticides to shrubs, trees, lawns, and planting areas.
- Transplant and prune trees and shrubs.
- Prepare, plant, and maintain planting beds; seeds lawn areas and cuts and transplants sod.
- Operate motor vehicles to, between, and from assigned work locations.
- Maintain required records; prepares necessary reports.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge of methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid US driver's license required.
Sufficient computer skills are required to communicate via email, fill out electronic timesheets, forms, and other electronic record keeping.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is varies from moderate to loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
PAY: $24.38 per hour
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
APPLICATION DIRECTIONS: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. A resume is required, a cover letter is optional but preferred.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.