Martin County is currently accepting applications for a full-time Elections Technician in the Auditor/Treasurer's Office.
The Elections Specialist position acts as the administrator for the Elections process under the Auditor/Treasurer, by preserving all voting policies and procedures for local, state, and federal elections. Additional responsibilities include assisting in the collections of taxes and receipting funds into the county’s financial system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains all maintenance and data entry on the state computer, and other reporting requirements, for all local and state elections. In addition, orders ballots, etc., for each election, processes all absentee ballots.
- Prepares, tests and maintains poll pads for elections.
- Administers voters’ registration in states SVRS system. All SVRS daily, weekly, monthly maintenance, and is the lead staff person that provide assistance for election process, includes ballot prep, candidate filing, administers AB ballots process, assist in judge training, post-election maintenance and records, conforms to all state statutes regarding election process.
- Prepares Confession of Judgments notices.
- Provides general or technical information in response to oral and written inquiries for the general public, county, state or federal agencies.
- Performs various clerical tasks relating to data base mailings, filing and general correspondence.
- Updates and maintains name/address, legal descriptions, parcel maintenance, parcel history, name associations, parcel associations, splits and new plats for property taxes in the property tax system in the computer, as received from various departments.
- Records incoming receipts in the cash register system to include balancing and updating journals as required and collects credit card payments.
- Acts as back up for identifying legal descriptions, verifies payment of taxes, collects taxes, registers mortgages, miscellaneous receipts, transfers deeds, eCRV process, eRecorded documents, researches ownership to ensure accurate records.
- Creates name, address, legal lists, mailing labels via the property tax computer, upon public request.
- Manages prepaid taxes process and the application of taxes to the tax bill. Revises and mail adjusted tax statements and calculators and prepares refunds for overpayments
- Issues auctioneer, liquor, tobacco and transient merchant licenses.
- Assists in the forfeited land sale process as requested.
- Participates in required continuing education and training sessions on elections, applicable law and regulation changes, computer skills and other position related matters.
- Performs other work-related duties as required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties performed by personnel so classified.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The position has good working conditions in general, but it is a diversified job requiring sustained mental effort related to public contact, organizational issues, and technical areas.
The individual may encounter moderate emotional strain or tension. There is sustained exposure to sitting and standing. There is continuous exposure to computer keyboard data entry and video screens and moderate exposure to lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Continuous: Walk; Stand; Sit; Keyboarding; Work requires moderate attention to detail.
- Frequent: Repetitive movement, mental effort and stress; Work requires high attention to detail; Work with frequent deadlines.
- Occasional: Bend or stoop; Kneel or squat; Exposed to annoying odor; Exposed to sickening odor; Exposure to emotional public; Exposure to offensive language; Some mental effort and stress involved resulting in frustration.
- Intermittent: Lift or carry less than 10 lbs.; Lift or carry 11-25 lbs.; Lift, carry, push, pull 26-60 lbs.; Work alone.
This position is responsible for the use of county fleet vehicles, modern office machines and equipment.
ACCOUNTABILITY & DEPENDABILITY
- Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, and achieves results with limited oversight.
- Follows instructions and adheres to all County policies and procedures as required.
- Maintains an acceptable record of work attendance and punctuality in accordance with County and Department requirements.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
- Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Checks work to ensure accuracy and completeness. Compares observations or finished work to what is expected to find inconsistencies.
COMMUNICATION (VERBAL & WRITTEN)
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain working relationships to produce results, and a work environment that builds rapport and trust.
- Communicates professionally and effectively with internal and external customers through spoken and written correspondence, including emails. Listens well; respects viewpoints different than own.
- Contributes knowledge, experience, and feedback appropriately to others.
- Provides information, options, and/or solutions to inquiries, concerns, and/or requests from the diverse public in a respectful manner.
- Maintains the County’s reputation of providing a high-level of customer satisfaction.
- Follows fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
- Ensures all financial data is properly calculated and reported.
- Safeguards fiscal resources, and adheres to all internal control procedures designed to prevent and detect theft or misuse of funds. Remains alert to security breaches and reports problems.
- Seeks ways to improve internal controls.
PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT & INTEGRITY
- Demonstrates knowledge and actions consistent with the County’s values and the County’s code of ethics and conduct.
- Respects and maintains confidentiality.
- Demonstrates high moral principles and professional standards with others through truthfulness and sincerity; makes ethical decisions.
- Shows respect for others’ ideas, perspectives, and styles. Demonstrates appropriate business etiquette and social skills.
QUALITY OF WORK
- Maintains a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates the ability to use resources productively, effectively, and efficiently.
- Demonstrates the ability to think proactively, anticipates potential problems, and provides workable solutions and alternatives with a ‘can do’ approach.
- Develops and maintains good working knowledge of job responsibilities and prescribed procedures, which facilitates the efficient performance of duties. Takes initiative to utilize job knowledge to analyze situations, resolve problems, and reach decisions.
- Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Encourages team unity through sharing information or expertise, working together to solve problems, and putting team success first.
- Gives honest and constructive feedback and shows willingness to receive feedback from peers.
- Provides assistance to teammates as needed.
Martin County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.