Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Maintenance Support Supervisor. We have one, full-time, benefited, limited term positions open.
This position is expected to last approximately 6 months.
**PRIORITY GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY JULY 11, 2022
This position provides daily supervision of the Maintenance Department and manages various facility programs in support of the daily operation and maintenance of the buildings and infrastructure of the zoo. This is a full-time limited duration position, expected to last approximately six (6) months.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Plan, schedule, supervise, and direct the work of personnel engaged in the day-to-day maintenance of buildings and building systems, pools and water systems, sewer and drainage systems, and other infrastructure needs.
- Coordinate Maintenance department activities and labor support with other departments, supervisors, and contractors.
- Prioritize work, set work standards, and inspect work in progress and upon completion for completeness and accuracy.
- Determine maintenance needs of facility equipment, arrange for storage of materials and equipment used in work, and implement maintenance management systems.
- Use databases and schedule meetings to identify, communicate, and plan workload, including scheduling, implementation, and securing equipment and inventory needed for routine and event-specific tasks.
- Proactively inspect the facility, systems, rooms, common areas, etc., and report any findings to the Maintenance, Operations, & Capital Projects Senior Director.
- Manage Exhibits and Facilities databases as assigned, including but not limited to, FAMAS work orders/work requests, and Utility Manager.
- Perform routine departmental duties, including but not limited to managing budgets, maintaining records, and ordering supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Resolve scheduling, implementation, equipment, and inventory issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university; and four (4) or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Teams) and customized and other database systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication based on audience and purpose with inclusivity. Ability to disseminate information effectively to appropriate levels.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team, within diverse teams and environments.
- Ability to evaluate problems and effectively solve them in a timely manner. Respond to concerns with empathy and inclusivity. Respond appropriately to conflict.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities, work with others, and coach employees to develop their full potential.
- Ability to provide helpful, behaviorally specific feedback to others and engage in open and honest communication. Ability to evaluate problems and solve them in a timely manner; respond to concerns with empathy and inclusivity.
- Ability to listen, give and receive feedback in a productive and professional manner. Able to translate vision into planning and implementation.
- Ability to identify and suggest changes that promote positive impacts with a lens for diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work in an extremely fast-paced, ever-changing environment, and manage multiple projects with competing demands while maintaining a commitment to excellence. Ability to quickly and methodically adjust priorities when needed.
- Ability to work a non-standard/flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- This position may be required to lift up to 35lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical office environment and/or outdoor weather conditions. This position is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts or work in high precarious places. This position is occasionally exposed to non-weather wet or humid conditions, and fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
**PRIORITY GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY JULY 11, 2022
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.