Are you a lifeguard looking for more opportunity? Do you have a desire to serve the community in which you live? A passion for kids? Please apply if this position makes your heart skip a beat. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate.
Teton County WY is a place where everyone can grow. So, however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. Teton County WY is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ancestry, family status, medical condition, family care leave, genetic predisposition or status as a covered veteran and other protected classifications.
Teton County WY fully embraces the concept of a diverse work force and is prepared to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities and religious practices when necessary. This policy applies to all employment decisions including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions and terminations.
SUMMARY: Under basic supervision, observes the activities of patrons in the public pool and adjoining areas and enforces safety rules and regulation. Administers and supervises first aid, CPR, and water rescue to patrons as needed. Provides supervision and direction to Lifeguards and Slide Attendants.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitors activities at pool to prevent accidents and incidents; follows emergency action plans and established procedures in the event of an emergency.
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards; maintains order at pool and adjoining areas; rescues swimmers at risk; administers first aid as necessary.
- Supervises, directs, schedules, and assigns tasks to Lifeguards and Slide Attendants.
- Checks and adjust chemistry of all pools; assists with systems repairs and preventative maintenance as required.
- Provides general information on pool operations and protocols to patrons.
- May assist in instructing aquatics programs.
- Supports the relationship between the Teton County staff and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and County staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent; AND two years of experience as a lifeguard, preferably which includes supervisory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Wyoming/Idaho Driver’s License and maintain an acceptable driving record.
- Lifeguard Certification.
- CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO)
Required Knowledge of:
- Pool equipment and maintenance; swimming pool sanitation and chlorine systems.
- Lifesaving methods and procedures including first aid and CPR.
- Principles and practices of effective project management, leadership, supervision and training.
- Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards, and safety precautions.
Required Skills in:
- Administering first aid and CPR.
- Working with little or no supervision.
- Enforcing procedures and rules.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Work is performed public pool area. Requires both standing, sitting and physical efforts when attempting a water rescue; must meet physical requirements set in Lifeguard Certification training. May be exposed to bodily fluids while administering first aid; safety precautions must be followed, including use of safety equipment.
- Required to work routine nights and weekends as regular schedule.
- Required to work unsupervised in the presence of children or vulnerable adults.