|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a Manager of Communications to provide strategic communications support to our growing Policy & Community Engagement team.
The Manager of Communications, CE & Policy, will be responsible for developing and executing on the communications strategy related to our community engagement and policy work, including developing the overarching storytelling and outreach strategy, proposing and aiding in the development of content, and acting as a liaison between the Policy/CE team and the core communications team.
The Manager Communications, CE & Policy will report through the Comms vertical to the Senior Director of Editorial and Narrative Strategy, and will work closely with the VPs of Community Engagement and Policy to set priorities and ensure continued alignment with CE/Policy programmatic goals.
- Working in close collaboration with SVP and VPs of Policy & Community Engagement, develop the overarching communications strategy for the Policy/Community Engagement verticals
- Work in collaboration with the core Communications team to field media requests, train and prep Policy & CE team leads for speaking engagements, and grow the go-to list of public speakers within the Policy/CE team
- Work alongside the Director of Community Engagement and CE coordinators to develop and execute on rollout activities for new CE products and programs, including establishing timelines, activities, and desired outcomes of strategic communications
- Work alongside the VPs of Policy & CE and Policy staff to develop and execute on rollout activities for new policy products and programs
- Build CPE's brand as a go-to for policy and community engagement, including pitching media outlets and identifying speaking engagement for CE/Policy staff at conferences and other venues
- Aid in the development of a Policy & CE mailing list to aid in the dissemination of new Policy & CE products and programs
- Proposing and overseeing thought-leadership and network building strategies to support CPE's policy and community engagement work, including supporting the development of campaigns, webinars series, and other outreach activities to support ongoing CE/Policy work
- Supervising Editorial Associates and determining additional staffing needs to support CE/Policy content development work, as needed
- 5+ years of experience in strategic communications in the social justice advocacy space, preferably with a focus on criminal legal system reform and racial equity
- Graduate degree in social science, criminology, or related field; or 5+ years relevant work experience
- Experience supervising staff or team leadership, and interest in providing mentorship and professional development to a growing team
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Education, experience, or other demonstrated interest in racial equity and public safety preferred
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please submit the following materials to apply:
- Cover Letter
- 2 writing samples
The Center for Policing Equity strives to build a diverse team that is inclusive of multiple perspectives and welcoming for people of all backgrounds. Women and members of minority communities are especially encouraged to apply.