Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Requires a high school diploma supplemented by two (2) years of financial office work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
The city is an EOE, DFW; Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
No calls please, only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted
This classification identifies unlicensed business activities through the use of computerized databases, published business lists, field surveys and other resources to assure proper compliance with business tax requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Conducts field inspections for non-compliant business operating without a valid business license; issues notices of violation.
- Answers questions relating to business taxes; investigates complaints and recommends appropriate action; checks the list of delinquent accounts and ensures their settlement through personal visits, phone calls, and letters.
- Reviews financial records to determine adequacy of taxes and fees paid; collects taxes and penalties due; maintains records and prepares reports regarding businesses operating within the City; updates business tax records using a networked personal computer; inspects vending machines to assure compliance with business tax requirements.
- Conducts customer service functions in person, by telephone, and by mail: provides information/assistance regarding department/division services, procedures, fees, or other issues; responds to routine questions or complaints; researches problems/complaints and initiates problem resolution; receives payments for various fees, fines, or services: records transactions, posts payments, and issues receipts; balances cash drawers; prepares revenues for deposit and forwards as appropriate.
- Processes and calculates business license applications and renewals.
- Balances and prepares daily deposits of business tax fees collected.
- Attends Court hearings for non-compliant businesses.
Performs other related duties as required.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, vibrations, traffic hazards, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, or rude/irate customers.