Children’s Center Student Assistant
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Teaching or Administrative Staff, the Children’s Center Assistant’s role is to help the core teacher coordinate the Center’s program for children and parents or to assist administrative staff with office operations. If working in the classroom the student will assist the teacher in the daily supervision of children and in implementing daily curriculum. If working in the front office the student will assist in the office operations of the Children’s Center.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Upon hiring student must complete the following: pass fingerprint / criminal record clearance, and provide proof of good physical health.
- Ability to work with young children in a group setting.
- Ability to follow direction and respond to feedback.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work as a team, takes directions, and learns new communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Reliable, self-motivated and works well with minimum supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience working with high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make routine decisions based on specific criteria/guidelines.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Ability to have a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others or independently, as the situation requires.
- Knowledge of Windows based computer systems required (Microsoft Office); strong Excel skills required for front office positions.
- Experience in cash handling and basic accounting functions for front office positions.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Previous general office or clerical experience preferred for front office positions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a welcoming environment for all center children, families, visitors and staff members
- Be neat, clean, tactful, and courteous to all staff and customers
- Maintain a working relationship with staff and co-workers
- Maintain prompt hours and follow absence procedures
- Keep work areas neat and organized
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
- Handle confidential information according to ASI policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Specialized Duties and Responsibilities
Classroom Assistant Duties
- Assist teacher in providing all aspects of appropriate educational experiences for young children including set up and maintenance of the environment
- Assist teachers in supervising children in the classroom, on the playground and during walking trips
- Assist in the set-up for meals, serving and role modeling during meals and in the clean-up process
- Perform tasks as required for daily classroom routines
- Use appropriate and acceptable language with the children
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
Front Office Duties
- Assist customers via the telephone and in person with issues related to the Children’s Center
- Provide quality customer service for all center families and staff
- General office assistance (word processing, filing, mailing, copying, and faxing)
- Maintain detailed records and ensure accurate data entry
- Perform all cash handling functions
- As required, position will ensure that financial paperwork submitted includes the information necessary for processing
- Gain applicable computer program knowledge for work area
- Perform data entry and maintain accurate schedules of all children
- Maintain confidential information regarding waiting list applications, children’s files, and student staff files according to State requirements (FERPA and State Community Care Licensing)
- Assist parents with child waiting list applications, questions and status inquiries
- Provide clerical assistance and administrative support to teaching staff
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets for staff TB clearances and notify staff prior to expiration
- Maintain currently enrolled child immunization records and notify parents when out of compliance
- Assist with special projects as requested
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locator (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree). Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Check and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
Applicants must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours, M-F, and a minimum of 3 quarters.
Start Date: 09/19/2022
Date of Last Equity Review: May 2012
The Associated Students, Inc. is committed to equal access to employment, facilities and programs regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Associated Students, Inc. is an equal opportunity Title VII employer.
This position may require sitting, standing, walking, bending over, ,lifting or carrying up to 710 pounds, repetitive use of hands/arms, repetitive use of legs.
Environmental factors include working inside, outside, working with others, working around others and working alone.