Job Summary: Conduct new hire driver safety orientation and road evaluation of new company Class A and B drivers. Instruct defensive driving techniques and educate drivers on the safe and professional operation of a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal and State regulations. Assess individual's ability to demonstrate the necessary skills to including knowledge of pre-trip inspections, Smith System, road and backing skills.
Train drivers on the safe operation and dumping of our specialized equipment used in the scrap recycling industry such as roll-offs, dump trailers, flatbed and lugger trucks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide hands-on instruction in the safe and professional operation of a commercial motor vehicle in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations
- Provide safety oversight throughout all training evaluations in accordance company safety policy
- Master training requirements, compliance standards, and company policies to improve the processes and better facilitate training of company drivers
- Ensure all training is properly recorded for each individual according to company procedures
- Observe, mentor and make recommendations respective to individual training and developmental needs
- Evaluate students individually on their operational skills and assess their progress during each training evaluation according to course curriculum
- Counsel drivers as needed regarding skill issues and adherence to DOT and company regulations
- Train students in areas of weakness through constructive feedback and adult learning processes
- Conduct mock DOT audits with drivers in the field
- Safely operate all CMV equipment within our fleet
High School Diploma required. 3 years (preferred) of training or teaching experience or combination of driving and training experience. Preferred candidates will possess a valid Class A CDL license for a minimum 5 years and have a clean driving record. Candidates with a CDL for less than 5 years will be reviewed on a case by case basis based on previous experience driving and training experience.
This position could require up to 50% overnight travel within the region of responsibility.