ASI Events Student Assistant
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of Coordinator – ASI Programs, the Student Assistant is responsible for implementing and developing guidelines and procedures that contribute to the development of safe, professionally managed and well organized special events that meet the diverse needs of the Cal Poly community. The Student Assistant will schedule and supervise a variety of special events and work with other special events assistants to plan and execute events. Coordinate with ASI staff set-up needs, parking arrangements, contract preparation, performance confirmation letters, event-related correspondence and event evaluation.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
- Experience with event planning preferred
- Experience with administration, supervision, advising and public relations
- General knowledge of program services
- Experience in leadership or management
- Organizational abilities and experience
- Program specific experience preferred
- Student with interest in the arts
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers
- Develop a quarterly program/timeline for Special Event activities
- Develop effective evaluation tool for events
- Evaluate events
- Event follow-up with agency
- Coordinate staff and volunteer duties for Special Event activities
- Provide ongoing evaluation of Special Events programs/activities
- Devise a process of reviewing promotional material
- Research national talent agencies
- Develop relationships with other college campuses to provide routing opportunities and sharing of information
- Be available to work scheduled events
- Develop relationships with other campus departments and seek opportunities for collaboration
- Ensure that events are well advertised and follow a marketing timeline
- Develop working relationships and coordinate with campus clubs, departments and off-campus entities related to fine arts
- Assist with art-related projects in the University Union
- Serve on the University Union Art Acquisition Committee and other committees as needed
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
- Post upcoming event promotional material
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff and co-workers
- Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Maintain prompt hours and follow absence procedures
- Act as a program ambassador at all times with extensive program knowledge
- Serve as a role model
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 5/16/2022