Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Data Collector. We have 2, part time, temporary, non benefitted positions open.
Application Priority Date: June 6th, 2022
This position will primarily assist with on-site data collection and data entry. This position plays a front-line role, inviting zoo visitors to participate in surveys, interviews, and other forms of data gathering.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Approach and invite diverse groups of zoo visitors to participate in visitor research and evaluation activities.
- Implement data collection strategies with visitors, such as user-testing, paper/pencil surveys, guest observations and interviews.
- Adhere to designated research protocols to collect and record data.
- Perform data entry using MS Excel or SPSS software.
- Prepare and maintain data collection materials and supplies.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED); or three (3) or more months related experience; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient and experienced with Microsoft Office applications (particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams & Outlook). Ability to work with customized databases and technology.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to approach and talk with zoo guests of all backgrounds and ages and be resilient to rejection when guests decline to participate.
- Ability to represent the zoo in a positive and professional manner while interacting with guests.
- Ability to prioritize daily tasks and demonstrate time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to adapt communication based on audience and purpose with inclusivity.
- Ability to listen patiently and attentively, ability to express self clearly and effectively, and ability to adapt communication based on audience and purpose with inclusivity.
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably with audiences of different backgrounds and experiences.
- Works effectively independently, with the public, or within diverse teams and environments while treating everyone with respect.
- Ability to hold self personally accountable for actions and take responsibilities.
- Ability to handle change positively.
- Demonstrated reliability and punctuality.
- Ability to work a non-standard/flexible schedule, which may include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Interest in social sciences, evaluation, visitor research, psychology, conservation, or other related field.
- Experience collecting data through surveys, interviews, or observations.
- Previous experience in an informal learning setting or evaluation.
- College level courses in social science, psychology, or evaluation.
- Conversational proficiency in another language such as Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Amharic.
- This position may be required to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to outdoor weather conditions and/or a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Application Priority Date: June 6th, 2022
Applicants must be at least 18 years old. A criminal background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter is optional and resume is equired.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.