Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Maintanence Laborer. We have two, part-time, variable-hour, temporary, non-benefitted positions open.
This position leads and/or performs semi-skilled and/or skilled work maintaining and performing minor repairs on facilities and turf.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mows, edges, and maintains lawns using riding lawn mowers, assigned tractors, edgers, and sweepers.
- Assists a variety of skilled-trade personnel in coordinating and performing skilled work; will also assist in the maintenance, repair and construction of buildings and other facilities, and in preparing walks and streets for asphalt and concrete paving operations.
- May oversee the work of subordinate employees by planning, training, assisting, monitoring and evaluating the work.
- May plan or assist in planning for materials, equipment, and staffing required for work assignments or areas.
- May lead and/or perform office relocations and delivery, storage and disposition of materials, forms, furniture and equipment. Performs other building services work including motor-pool operations, and event set-ups, change-overs and support.
- Provides regular and ongoing care, preparation, and maintenance for medium- to large-sized parks (over 20 acres) containing several distinct outdoor recreational features (i.e. ball fields, fountains, picnic grounds, play areas, wading pools, etc.).
- Aides and participates in the opening, backfilling, and shoring of trenches and other excavations.
- Assists with the preventative maintenance and repair of roofs and drainage systems.
- Maintains and performs minor repairs to wooden and metal playground equipment, picnic tables, bleachers, and other outdoor recreation facilities.
- Maintains routine records and reports.
- Drives pickup trucks and other vehicles or equipment in connection with work activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and may include evenings and holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid US driver's license required
- Commercial driver’s license is preferred
- Other pertinent licenses may be required
Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to variable weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment varies.
Pay: $27.08 per hour
EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume is required, cover letter is optional but preferred.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.