|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is seeking a motivated SENIOR MANAGER FOUNDATION RELATIONS to oversee and further develop the organization's grant program, with a primary focus on cultivating fruitful, long-term relationships.
This individual will serve as part of a growing team committed to growing philanthropic support at the nation's premier organization focused on the transformative impact of data-driven interventions in public safety. Working in partnership with and reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the successful candidate will work closely with program staff, a grants writer and be capable of communicating (in both verbal and written formats) complex programmatic work to current and prospective funders.
Prior experience in nonprofit development, specifically working with foundations or corporations to secure five and six-figure grants required. If you have these skills and a demonstrated interest and commitment to racial justice, we encourage you to apply.
- Manage a portfolio of active and prospective public and private foundations by establishing relationships with program officers, soliciting and stewarding gifts, and deepening ties with institutional funders.
- Conduct phone/video conversations with funders and in-person visits (when public health protocols allow) and create written communications, including letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and informal updates.
- Achieve monthly cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship targets and keep accurate engagement records.
- Expand the universe of foundations that fund CPE by identifying prospective funders, cultivating relationships via outreach and events, and determining the right time to ask for support.
- Collaborate with the Development team to establish an events schedule that appeals to institutional funders and high net worth individuals and provide input on event planning.
- Participate in and work on programs and events as a member of the development team
- Collaborate with the Sr. Development Director to determine annual foundation revenue goals
- Work with CPE's Finance department and the Mgr. Donor Data & Analytics to share financial data with foundations including providing input to Finance staff completing budget and expenditure forms, and refining policies and practices around developing project budgets.
- Ensure that all appropriate information about foundation cultivation activities, solicitations, and donations is entered into the CRM database
- Manage the Grants Coordinator and Sr. Grant Writer and work with them to develop and oversee the grants calendar, including proposal and status report deadlines.
- Manage personnel actions such as hiring and promotion recommendations, performance appraisals, and vacation schedules
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 7+ years of professional fundraising experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience working with (or in) formal philanthropic foundations; a background in fundraising for a think tank or data-focused advocacy mission is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing staff.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with donors, volunteers, and program and administrative staff
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Must be able to clearly convey CPE's mission and vision
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to offer creative solutions
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Comfort with managing up and communicating ideas and recommendations clearly and convincingly.
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of and experience with databases (Salsa and/or Salesforce CRM software a plus.)
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please submit the following materials to apply:
Supplementary application materials that you believe to be relevant
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled 'LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.'