Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a System Support Technician. We have one, full time, benefitted position open.
Application Priority Date: May 16, 2022
This position installs, repairs, and updates computer software or hardware. This position investigates and resolves software and hardware problems of computer users.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assist in the installation, maintenance, and general support of systems.
- Answer, evaluate, and prioritize incoming telephone, voicemail, email, and in-person requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies.
- Interview users to collect information about their problem and lead users through diagnostic procedures to determine the source of error.
- Determine whether the problem is caused by hardware including printers, network, mobile, etc.
- Help perform system backups and recovery and install new software.
- Handle problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution, and follow-up for routine user problems, escalating more complex problems to supervisor or technical staff.
- Log and track calls by entering the incident report into help desk tracking software and give a priority to the request.
- Prepare standard statistical reports, such as help desk incident reports.
- Analyze and evaluate incident reports and makes recommendations to reduce help line incident rate.
- Work with the configuration of PC’s.
- Consult with programmers to explain software errors or to recommend changes to programs.
- Call software and hardware vendors to request service regarding defective products.
- Test software and hardware to evaluate ease of use and whether product will aid user in performing work.
- Write software and hardware evaluation and recommendation for management review.
- Write or revise user training manuals and procedures.
- Develop training materials such as exercises and visual displays.
- Train users on software and hardware on-site, in classroom, or recommends outside contractors to provide training.
- Install personal computers, software, peripheral equipment, and maintains inventory and system updates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, training in vocational school and five (5) or more years related experience and/or training; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the Windows Operating System and a strong understanding of Microsoft Office platforms.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Employ best practices while continually seeking to improve effectiveness of the position and displaying an on-going commitment to learning and self-improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to adapt communication based on audience and purpose with inclusivity.
- Ability to hold self personally accountable, take responsibility, initiate action based on direction and follow through on delegated work, and handle change positively.
- Ability to work effectively within diverse teams and environments while treating everyone with respect.
- Ability to interact with staff, volunteers, sponsors, and vendors in a professional and ethical manner.
- Ability to work a non-standard/flexible schedule, which may include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Background with networking.
- This position may be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment can range from moderate to high.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old. A criminal background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Application Priority Date: May 16, 2022
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.