Virginia’s largest vineyard currently producing wines in our red, white, and sparkling wine programs is seeking a Cellar Intern with a strong interest in the winemaking process. This intern will have the opportunity to work alongside an award winning team composed of cellar workers and a seasoned winemaker in which they will have the opportunity to gain practical experience in processing grapes for wine production including grape sampling, pressing and crushing, seeling, racking, inoculation, fermentation monitoring and kinetics, barreling and wine aging. A flexible schedule will be needed, as well the ability to perform physically active work for extended periods of time, including overtime and weekend work. If you have a strong drive and curiosity to learn more about the winemaking process, then apply today!
Trump Winery is located in the heart of the Monticello American Viticultural Area and part of the Monticello Wine Trail produces roughly 40,000 cases of wine per year. Growing 12 varietals of grapes including Chardonnay, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Pinot Noir, Malbec, Semillon, Pinot Meunier, and Carmenere and currently producing 14 wines in our red, white, and sparkling wine programs.
Title: Cellar Intern
Location: Trump Winery, 20 minutes south of Downtown Charlottesville
Wage: $16/hr - Housing is available for this role
Hours: Monday through Friday - Flexibility needed, including some evenings and weekends
Duration/Status: Seasonal - July 26th through November 10th
Timeline of Responsibilities:
- Aug 1st – Aug 30th White wine harvest. Processing chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, viognier
- Sept. 1st- Nov 10th Red wine harvest. Processing Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec
- Clean and sanitize winemaking equipment and facility.
- Safely and efficiently operate a forklift.
- Perform barrel work including receiving, cleaning, preparing, racking, filling, and topping.
- Assist with fermentation management including sampling, additions and cap management.
- Ensure timely communication with winemaking team and accurate record keeping.
- Perform other duties as required or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the winemaking department.
- Basic understanding of cellar operations and willingness to learn.
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently with some supervision.
- Ability to work long, variable hours during harvest. Overtime will be requested of all hires.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and work on one’s feet for 10+ hours a day.
- Ability to understand, speak, read, and write in English.
- Ability and desire to perform all job functions in strict adherence to company health and safety protocols, and in accordance with quality control standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in oenology/viticulture or related field preferred but not required
- Beverage production experience is preferred.
- Experience with forklifts, presses, barrel work or other cellar operations a plus.
- Experience with basic wine chemistry analysis a plus.
- Opportunity to learn about other aspects of the wine industry outside of the cellar (i.e. frequent visits to the vineyard during harvest time)
- Forklift training available
- Discount on wine, food, and merchandise
- Opportunity to participate in employee wine training
Trump Winery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other categories protected by federal, state, and local law.
Trump Winery participates in the E-Verify Program (Identity and Employment Eligibility Verification) and uses E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Este Empleador participa en E-Verify (Verificación de Documentos de Identidad y Elegibilidad de Empleo).