SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direction of the Director of Athletics and Recreation.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises assistant coaches.
POSITION SUMMARY: An Athletic Head Coach reports to the Director of Athletics and Recreation and is responsible for all phases of a varsity athletic program. A head coach must direct and manage the operations of a varsity athletic program achieving predetermined goals and objectives set in conjunction with the Director of Athletics and Recreation. These include the development of student athletes, the recruitment of qualified student athletes, team management and operations, budgeting, management of assistant coaches and execution of team goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand and comply with NCAA Division III, conference, and University rules and regulations
- Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes
- Implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes
- Develop and implement plans and strategies for practices and competition
- Schedule competition, make transportation and lodging arrangements for team travel
- Manage the men's basketball operating budget
- Evaluate program effectiveness
- Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community
- Monitor student-athletes' academic progression
- Event supervision based on the needs of the University.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas. Willing to receive constructive feedback and make adjustments that support efficiency, effectiveness and overall success.
- Consensus Building - Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
- Diversity Oriented - Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build positive relationships with students, co-workers, Alumni and community.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
- Training - Ability to develop a particular skill in others to bring them up to a predetermined standard of work performance.
- Education - Bachelor's degree required, masters preferred
- Experience - Coaching at the intercollegiate level preferred with preference given to those with head coaching experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Must be detail-oriented and well organized. Strict confidentiality of information pertaining to the office and alumni is essential.
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should attach their cover letter and resume to the online application by clicking "Apply Now". Please attach documents as a PDF file.
Link to our DEI Action Plan: https://www.moravian.edu/dei-action-plan
Deep respect for others is fundamental to the Moravian University community. Moravian University does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student, or applicant for admission on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, age, ancestry, national origin, caste, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, marital status, citizenship status, veteran/military status, disability status, or any other protected category under applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Concerns regarding all forms of discrimination, including sexual harassment and/or sex discrimination in employment:
Leah M. Naso
Executive Director for Equity & Compliance (Title IX Coordinator)
210 Colonial Hall
1200 Main St.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18018
Concerns regarding gender and equity in athletics:
Assistant Athletic Director (Deputy Title IX Coordinator)
148 Johnston Hall
1200 Main St.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18018
Concerns regarding the application of Title IX:
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Civil Rights
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323
Report sexual harassment/sex discrimination online anytime (can be anonymous) at www.moravian.edu/titleix. Grievance procedures can be found in the institutional Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Non-Discrimination Policy at www.moravian.edu/policy.
Please visit moravian.edu/benefits to review benefits offered at Moravian University.*
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
The individual is routinely exposed to indoor conditions and outdoor weather and temperature extremes, and moderate noise level.
Pursuant to the ADA, Moravian University will provide reasonable services and accommodation(s) to employees with qualified disabilities in order to perform the essential functions of their employment, except when doing so would be unduly disruptive and/or result in undue hardship to the University. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis through documentation review and an interactive interview process that includes the employee's supervisor. Requests for accommodation or questions about this process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610.861.1527. View the standard physical demands for positions at Moravian University. If this position requires additional or different demands, a Human Resources team member will notify you.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job.
*Please visit this link to review the benefit eligibility status associated with this position.