*Summer availability required*
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the coordinator — Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing, the graphic designer is responsible for creating and supporting the graphics needs for the programs and managed facilities of ASI and ASI Student Government’s promotional, collateral, and digital materials. The team of designers must deliver creative solutions while still maintaining a consistent ASI branded appearance that is attentive to the Cal Poly brand in the design, layout, and artwork for all promotional materials including, but not limited to brochures, flyers, posters, banners, logos, advertisements, specialty print items, web graphics, social media assets, etc.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the university learning objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Knowledge and experience in creation of original artwork.
- Knowledge and experience in the study of typography.
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Mac computers.
- Working knowledge of video or motion graphics preferred.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds, specific needs, or limitations.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to use graphic creation skills.
- Prepare graphics for print and digital marketing materials, such as fliers, brochures, posters, T-shirts, web advertisements, social media posts, etc.
- Coordinate photography or video graphics as needed for assignments.
- Plan and implement print layouts for multi-page publications, integrated marketing campaigns, and individual collateral pieces.
- Adhere to established project deadlines.
- Work with on- and off-campus vendors to obtain quotes, set production timeline, send product to print, check proofs, and receive final product.
- Maintain consistent communication directly with clients to coordinate project details to ensure deadlines and the most appropriate design applications, including but not limited to scheduling, assessing photography or video needs, original artwork creation, and revisions.
- Maintain archives of individual project specifications, drafts, and final proofs.
- Adhere to ASI style guide and branding guidelines.
- Adhere to Cal Poly brand guidelines as required by project.
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats.
- Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers.
- Willing to learn new technology.
- Give attention to detail.
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management.
- Maintain prompt hours and follow absence procedures.
- Maintain a working relationship with staff and co-workers.
- Adhere and enforce to all ASI departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants.
- Commitment to student development and leadership.
- Work well with others and be self-motivated.
- Other duties as assigned.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Recommend and support practices intended to eliminate racial, gender, or any other form of bias in processes, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrate awareness of one’s own biases, comfort levels, and various aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Demonstrate effort to understand each person’s individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments.
- Participate in trainings and activities provided by ASI as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $16.00 per hour; hours per week are anticipated to be 15–20 hours.
- Summer availability is required
- Anticipated start date is mid-May
- Anticipated need is 15-20 hours per week while enrolled in classes.
Application Note - a formatted resume and cover letter are required for all applications to be considered.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 03/04/2022