FLSA Status: Exempt
Blue Marble Productions, Inc. is a world-class developer, processor, and co-packer of branded and private label alcohol and non-alcohol-based products for the beverage industry.
The Beverage/Food Technologist (or Scientist) performs food product development activities including testing of prototypes, competitive products, and production samples. Documents ingredients, formulations, processes, and testing involved with new product research and development or enhancements to existing products. This role would be responsible for management of the entire commercialization process from ideation to full scale production. Additionally, this individual will work closely with the technical teams from both alcohol and non-alcohol customers to on-board and improve the formulas for production.
· Recipe formulation and creation for company projects and co-packing / co-manufacturing clients
· Create and maintain a library of beverage formulations for private label clients
· Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies, such as the FDA and TTB
· Ensure current good manufacturing principles (CGMPs) are always upheld to an industry-leading standard
· Perform laboratory analysis for quality assurance and quality control testing (QA / QC)
· Work with clients and potential retail partners to ensure satisfaction with the products that are created
· Collaborate with Sales, Operations, and Supply Chain to onboard/launch new products
· Establish product specification requirements that align with production capabilities and equipment.
· Participate as a member of the Food Safety Team
· Understand process capabilities and risk assessment
· Evaluate product feasibility and escalate risks to relevant stakeholders
· Perform small scale benchtop experiments
· Submit formulas and labels for approval through the TTB and/or process authority
· Manage Bill of Materials creation and approval
· Collaborate in creation of batching procedures, production line setup sheets, and corresponding CIP requirements and production parameters.
· Train personnel in sensory evaluation
· Perform shelf-life studies and evaluate materials/product for shelf life extensions
· Develop positive work relationships with customers and suppliers
Other duties assigned by the Supervisor/Manager
· Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Biology, Microbiology, or related science, or related field required.
· Must be 21 years of age
· 3+ years in food and beverage manufacturing operations preferred
· 3+ years of commercialization experience
· Knowledge of GLPs and a variety of QC laboratory equipment method development
· Knowledge and technical understanding of beverage/ liquid processing. Experience with alcohol preferred.
· Understanding of HACCP, FDA, TTB, ATC, GFSI, and other Food & Beverage regulations preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook…etc.)
· Demonstrable experience of developing and implementing quality processes and operational improvements with an ability to assess and demonstrate critical thinking, adherence to policies, processes and systems
· Must be able to read, recognize and speak the English language
· Must have the ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
· Must have the ability to build cross functional relationships and have the ability to work as part of a team and interact effectively with others
· Must have the ability to influence others to act in support of ideas, programs, or causes.
· Must possess excellent communication skills
· Must have great attention to detail, essential problem-solving methods and initiative
· Must be results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines tasks in a timely and accurate manner with minimal supervision
· Must have the ability to learn and apply policies, procedures, standards and guidelines
· Must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes
· Must have the ability to receive, understand and proactively respond to direction from managers and other members of leadership
· Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10 hours, and be able to frequently push, pull, squat, bend, and reach
· Must be able, with or without reasonable accommodation, be able to lift up to 50 pounds depending on job task
· Must be able, with or without reasonable accommodation, be able to operate carts, dollies, and hand trucks of up to 100 lbs.
· Must be able to climb and descend stairs safely, with or without reasonable accommodation, and work on a secure mezzanine at a height of up to 25 feet
Must be able to work in cool conditions in the winter and warm conditions in the summer