This position is responsible for directing, organizing and controlling a fleet of drivers to achieve company standards for safe operation, and provide services which successfully meet or exceed the customer's needs. This position will maximize Driver Team Member and equipment utilization, while simultaneously operating within an environment of trust, respect and dignity for our Driver Team Members.
- Plan assigned fleet of drivers for success by focusing on key aspects (hours of service, transit time, driver performance, customer requirements, safety compliance, etc.).
- Responsible for timely identification and remediation of Driver safety compliance issues including, but not limited to, HOS violations, Drive Cam events, drug and alcohol testing, terminal route-throughs and maintenance issues.
- Focus on driver retention by building strong relationships with each driver, monitoring performance, and keeping drivers informed and motivated.
- Collaborate with Fuel Management Team to maximize fuel purchase efficiency, and idle time compliance.
- Ensure assigned fleet of drivers is in compliance with all FMCSA regulations.
- Dispatch loads to drivers (issue load information, directions, routing, and fuel information, etc.).
- Communicate and help facilitate resolution of driver conflicts, problems, and requests such as home time, pay, equipment, and load assignments.
- Track and manage assigned drivers' home time schedule.
- Monitor pickups and deliveries for service failures and proactively alert the necessary parties when a load is in jeopardy of failing.
- Manage driver performance by setting expectations, conducting regular reviews and implementing corrective action processes up to and including termination when needed.
- Utilize operational reports and metrics to ensure operating effectiveness.
- Meet deadlines and deliver exceptional service through positive engagement and patience.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- General knowledge of DOT regulations
- Experience in a management role
- Proficient at Microsoft Excel and Word
- Analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment to continuously improve results
- Ability to coach drivers on key areas of needed improvement
- Ability to promote a culture of trust and safety
This position will be required to work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, and, with or without reasonable accommodation is required to:
- Remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Frequently operate a computer for extended periods of time and regularly operate other office productivity machines.
- Occasionally ascend/descend stairs and move up to 20 pounds of office objects.
- Frequently communicate with peers, supervisors, third parties, and other employees to exchange accurate information and answer questions.
- Occasionally attend meetings in buildings outside corporate office and at off-site locations with various internal conditions, and requiring travel in various external conditions.
- Travel domestically as necessary.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
USA Truck, Inc. is firmly committed to inclusivity and equality of opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment, and does not discriminate against applicants or employees for any reason prohibited by law or its own policies. USA Truck, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodations for employees and applicants for employment.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for this position; other duties outside of normal responsibilities may be performed as necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Nothing in this position description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.