|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a highly-skilled Research Associate with at least 3 years of experience in applied research with an unwavering passion for social science research design and implementation. The role is housed within the Product Development arm of Product Discovery, which is responsible for creating programmatic interventions and products that allow CPE to address racial bias in public safety. The Product Development arm also creates tools and resources for CPE teams to leverage internally, to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of their intervention efforts in the field, as well as their ability to scale.
The Research Associate will be responsible for developing and overseeing proposals, project briefs, and change management plans to launch new products and services or enhance existing ones. They will be expected to review and synthesize relevant scholarly literature, monitor the progress of projects, and address any risks that undermine timely completion, including escalating issues to the Director of Product Development.
This position will report to the Director of Product Development and work in a collaborative effort with other members of the Product Discovery Team.
- Conduct reviews of relevant literature and compile summaries/key findings to support the innovation or enhancement of products or services
- Assist in the development of programmatic interventions and products that promote racial justice
- Develop proposals and project briefs to translate ideas for innovation and enhancements into actionable work plans for execution
- Implement work plans to complete projects
- Participate in the development of change management plans to guide the successful implementation of new or enhanced products and services
- Streamline processes to improve efficiency and scalability of Product Development deliverables
- Develop structured interview protocols and survey content; lead stakeholder interviews including focus groups to measure user experience with products and services
- Analyze user-testing data and produce findings
- Support the Director of Product Development in change management efforts and trainings for the implementation of new programs and products
- Develop high-quality materials for internal teams, CPE leadership, and external stakeholders (i.e., reports, PowerPoint presentations, white papers)
- Provide administrative support to Director of Product Development to optimize workflow for research processes and products (i.e., scheduling and holding calls with project stakeholders)
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline (Sociology, Psychology, Demography, Political Science, Economics, etc)
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience in social science research design and/or implementation
- Expertise with both quantitative and qualitative research design, data collection, data visualization, and data analysis
- Experience submitting research proposals to Institutional Review Boards (IRBs)
- Highly skilled in interview and/or focus group design and administration
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and aptitude for working with multiple project teams and coordinating concurrent projects
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse staff of scientists, analysts, and data engineers across the organization
- Ability to function effectively both independently and as part of a geographically distributed team
- Experience writing public-facing reports and academic scholarship
- Experience or interest working with diverse analytic methodologies (e.g., analyzing survey data, HLM, network analysis, policy analysis, and/or examining how psychological attitudes predict behaviors)
- Commitment to social justice
- Ph.D. in relevant social science discipline acquired by hire date preferred
- Prior experience with and knowledge of one or more of the following: public safety redesign, social and racial justice issues, public health, public policy, statistics, demography, criminology, sociology, or implementation science
- Experience working with policing data and/or professional experience in a criminal justice-related discipline
- Ability to create survey instruments and data collection protocols
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
Two writing samples (peer-reviewed journal article, technical reports, white paper, data visualization product, etc.)
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, 'LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.'
The Center for Policing Equity strives to build a diverse team that is inclusive of multiple perspectives and welcoming for people of all backgrounds. Women and members of minority communities are especially encouraged to apply.