ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
** SIGN-ON BONUS ** $1,000 (1 year service agreement)
* Starting Hourly rate: $17 to $25
The Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) performs a wide range of reversible intra-oral dental procedures under the direction of a dentist. Provides chair side assistance, fully anticipating dentist’s need for various instruments, materials and services. Requires knowledge of dental anatomy, related oral anatomy, the technical methods and practices of dentistry, the functions of dental instruments and the materials to perform a wide variety of dental procedures.
- Customer service must be a priority
- Organizing and laying out instruments for dentist's use
- Meeting and greeting patients and seating them in the dental chair
- Restores teeth prepared by dentist with permanent and temporary fillings
- Supports dentist in endodontic treatments by applying rubber dam, removing temporary filling using low speed handpiece, and cleansing and drying operative field
- Takes preliminary impressions for study models, modifying impression tray as needed
- Retracts gingiva from tooth for final impression by placing and removing retraction cord
- Assists in surgical treatment by applying and removing periodontal and post-extraction dressings, and removing sutures
- Instructs patients in preventive dental care measures, general nutrition as related to dental health, the common causes of tooth decay, and the care of prosthodontic appliances
- Applies desensitizing agents, tissue conditioner and other topical agents prescribed by dentist to specified areas of the oral cavity
- Proficient in taking dental radiographs.
- Constructing and placing temporary crown and bridges
- Provide Oral hygiene and Post Op instructions to patients
- Will work with Electronic Health Record (EHR) programs including Dental Health Records.; training is provided
- Will provide training to new staff as instructed by supervisor
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; review courses
- Responsible for electronic health records data entry pertinent to patient service role
- Ensure Proper PPE is used at all times while on duty. Face surgical mask is to be worn in all hospital areas. Proper handwashing is required. If water is not available use hand sanitizer. Social distancing will be practiced by department.
- Proper PPE is used inside assigned Clinics or Units. NIOSH- approved N95 Masks filtering face piece respirator or higher, if available, this includes eye or face shields, gloves, and isolation gowns.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. Complete provided training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position requires long periods of standing, walking, sitting, lifting, and bending as well as intermittent reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Must be able to lift up to 10 lbs. for a prolonged period of time and occasionally up to 25 lbs. of equipment. Must be able to hear alarms on equipment, client calls and instructions from physician/department staff. The job requires the following vision requirements: close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have ability of repetitive use of both feet and both hands, fine dexterity of both hands, as well as grasping simple/light of both hands and occasionally grasping firm/heavy of both hands.
Performs a number of clinical support activities including chairside assistance and radiographic work, which involves a variety of sequential steps and processes. In each case, the category of the particular task and consideration of readily verified factors determine what steps are to be taken.
Works in a well-lit clinical setting with strict infection control standards. Must wear gloves, masks, eyewear, and protective clothing to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases. Work involves danger of exposure to radiation, fumes or airborne participles, toxic or caustic chemicals and communicable diseases. Incumbent uses lead shields to protect against radiation and wears face masks and gloves during treatment procedures. The typical noise level for the work environment is moderate noise.