Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as an East Team Animal Keeper. We have two, full time, benefitted positions open.
Experience in the care and welfare of carnivores is desired.
What you’ll do:
- Assess animals daily to ensure they are properly cared for and secured.
- Observe animal behavior, report abnormal behavior patterns and provide technical advice to management and staff.
- Prepare food for and feed assigned animals according to approved diet plans.
- Clean and disinfect assigned animal and exhibit areas.
- Follow treatment plans and preventive health programs as prescribed by Zoo Veterinarian or Zoo Curators.
- Identify and communicate safety concerns to management in a timely manner.
- Participate in the capture and restraint of animals as directed by management.
- Implement animal care procedures and policies, including record keeping.
- Maintain supply inventories.
- Assist with the physical transfer of animals.
- Support special animal care activities such as physical examinations, minor exhibit repairs and modifications, and major exhibit maintenance projects.
- Assist in development and implementation of behavioral husbandry program.
- Plan, prepare, and conduct public presentations on animal care and conservation.
- Participate in exhibit design process and implementation, as directed.
- Provide technical assistance to internal or external researchers conducting authorized zoo studies.
- Represent the Woodland Park Zoo to the media, as directed.
- Conduct behind the scenes tours, as directed.
- Support fundraising/development efforts of the zoo.
When we’ll need you:
- This is a regular, full-time, benefited opportunity and your work schedule will be determined with your supervisor.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work may be required.
- This position may require that the individual be available or on-call 24-hours a day.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor's degree in a life sciences field from an accredited four-year college or university; and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Experience working in a zoo, AZA accredited zoos preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience using animal management databases a plus.
- Valid WA state driver’s license with a safe driving history.
- Commitment to the zoo’s mission and Core Values.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Pay: $27.50 per hour, plus benefits.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license (or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire). A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.
|Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.