|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Project Manager, Product Discovery
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a skilled Project Manager with an unwavering passion for racial justice and two or more years of experience driving project success. This position will report to the Program Manager for Product Discovery and will support the work of Product Discovery team members as part of the Program Management Office (PMO). This Project Manager is expected to facilitate the execution of a project end to end, leveraging their fluency in project management best practices (e.g., risk management, stakeholder management, time management). The PM must demonstrate strong critical thinking skills and good judgment and should be able to recognize and understand complex challenges that threaten the success of their team’s projects.
About CPE’s Product Discovery Program
The Product Discovery program is responsible for driving innovation in CPE’s work on the ground with law enforcement agencies, government entities, and community groups. Critical functions within this interdisciplinary program include designing and testing the next generation of our data-driven interventions and products, in collaboration with the internal teams who will execute on those plans to deliver report products to law enforcement agencies and communities nationwide.
About the Program Management Office
CPE recognizes project management as a core function of the organization; in 2019, we established a Program Management Office (PMO) to evolve, promote, and enforce CPE’s standards for project management. The PMO itself is a centralized team of project management professionals throughout the organization to provide PM support to their assigned division -- so the Product Discovery Project Manager is situated within the PMO and supported by a team of professionals of the same discipline, but most of their active time is spent in direct collaboration with the members of the Product Discovery program.
- Support PD team members in clarifying project goals and planning, monitoring, and delivering projects
- Ensure adequate communication and hand-off of tasks between PD and its collaborators, including external partners and internal stakeholders
- Create project timelines and execute plans using project management software (Asana)
- Develop, enforce, and improve established processes, standards, and documentation needed to successfully execute on program goals
- Manage capacity and the volume of day-to-day work in progress
- Build project management professionalism among project staff:
- Assessing and managing risks to project success
- Promoting consistent adoption of operating standards
- Supporting team members in performing retrospectives to assess and improve processes
- Supporting team members in adopting measurement and evaluation (M&E) practices and tracking of key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Provide project management and operational support to the Program Manager for Product Development Initiatives
- Bachelor's degree / 2+ years of project management experience
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of project management methodologies and tools
- Ability to quickly adapt and apply new project management tools and processes to a growing organization
- Fluency in racial justice work, particularly around racial equity as it relates to public safety
- Demonstrated organizational and critical-thinking skills needed to work effectively on multiple projects with competing priorities
- Exceedingly strong communication skills (both written and verbal), with a passion for distilling complex ideas into language that is easy to understand
- Be a strong team player, assisting the overall team and peers to achieve success