Director ESG and DE&I
Location: Tempe, AZ (remote/onsite)
We are looking for a Director of ESG and DE&I who will play a leadership role in helping to further define, implement, and scale Trulieve’s external strategy for positive community impact, diversity, equity and inclusion activity, as well as leading and reporting on our ESG initiatives as the business continues to grow. The ESG position will play a central role, in connection with IR, in positioning and conveying our vision, strategy, values and performance to the investor community. The position will also play a key business partner role with Human Resources to develop and support training, hiring and D&I measurement activities.
Responsible for building an ESG and DE&I strategy and reporting structure working collaboratively across all disciplines to ensure a 360 view of sustainability, corporate social responsibility, and DEI efforts. Lead the cross functional ESG and DEI committees to assure cross functional input, collaboration, and views. Develop and execute strategy, set targets and goals for the Company, and develop reporting structure for executive team and Board committee. Manage the development of the annual ESG Report, with a heavy focus on social impact, and design auditable processes and systems related to cross-function non-financial data collection, as the Company looks to provide more transparency and disclosure for all key stakeholders.
- Develop company's global ESG reporting practices while keeping abreast of emerging industry issues and new ESG practices. Align global ESG reporting efforts with company-wide goals, corporate reputation strategy, and corporate priorities.
- Lead creation and publication of the company's annual ESG report and website. Coordinate data collection across departments. Plan and oversee the writing of accurate content and ensure quality and timeliness of all written materials.
- Develop targets and goals for the company's ESG program and establish auditable process to measure and track progress on at least a quarterly basis. Provide progress reports to management team and/or Board of Directors' ESG Committee.
- Work closely with functional partners across legal, cultivation & production, finance, investor relations, supply chain, EHS, human resources, communications, and others.
- Lead strategy for inclusion in ESG-related indices and lead submission process/review data collected by leading ESG research and ratings firms, including S&P, True Value, Sustainalytics, ISS and others. Participate in the SCC/ASTM efforts to create a cannabis framework. Develop strategy and initiatives to improve the company's ratings and perform gap analysis.
- Understand and position company for the evolving regulations, standards, and frameworks for ESG reporting and transparency.
- Serve as a resource for internal partners for formal ESG reporting and broader communications needs and opportunities.
- Oversee Trulieve’s national DEI and corporate social responsibility activities to drive company strategy and values on national level as well as attention to local markets within our hubs to create a positive social impact.
- Manage, support and measure national social equity and DEI partnerships and programs to sustain the company’s 4 pillars
- Develop, oversee, and maintain DEI related pages on the corporate website to support and communicate important developments and activities.
- Build community engagement and DEI programs in each hub to leverage activities across the US and communicate on a national level.
- Develop, support, and deliver on Social Equity and DEI related initiatives across various channels including partnerships, internal programs, training and education, and collaborate with individual state programs.
- Partner with Trulieve’s Applications team to align with any DEI commitments made in connection with state license applications.
- Partner with HR to identify and build a scalable recruitment strategy which embodies Trulieve’s commitment to our Diversity and Inclusion commitment
- Liaise with HR to track and measure people related Diversity and Inclusion measures and training programs
ESG/DEI Crossover Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Corporate Communications, Human Resources, and Marketing to promote ESG & DEI initiatives through the development of strategic ESG & DEI communications plans tailored to key stakeholders (employees, investors, consumers, press and social media, etc.).
- Ensure timely and accurate responses to ESG performance and DEI focused inquiries from investors, media, partners, state regulators, non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Work directly with the data owners to ensure they have a solid understanding of reporting needs and are providing all required data quarterly. Develop a central data repository for company's non-financial data. Streamline the input of that data from cross-functional data owners.
- Develop and maintain an ESG & Social Impact dashboard for functional leaders, the executive team and Board Committee.
- Benchmark company's strategies, results, and performance against peer reporting. Use benchmarking and research skills to proactively identify issues, risks and trends that can affect the brand.
- Oversee a budget and team with a vision for scaling the program
- Motivated self-starter, with the ability to work both independently as well as collaboratively with a team-player mindset
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong communication skills, including strong writing and the ability to craft investor communications, presentations, and responses
- Self-motivated problem solver who can work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Experienced at building key relationships internally and externally
- Idea person with creative background to direct design projects and websites
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred in Finance, Economics, Communications, Sustainability/ESG or related discipline.
- Experienced with ESG reporting or external corporate reporting experience in a public company environment. Background in investor relations, corporate communications, asset management or consulting firm.
- Proven success working in a matrix environment, influencing without direct authority, and leading large scale, complex initiatives.
- Experience in cannabis or an emerging industry preferable.