We are searching for a motivated Graphic Technician/Production Sign Maker with diverse technical skills. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. Job will be 90% technical and 10% design. Proficiency in working with various power tools, vinyl-lettering applications, acrylic material, wood, paint sprayers and related materials is required, as well as suitable graphic design skills on a Mac (Adobe CS) platform. Ability to work and communicate effectively with vendors, volunteers & Museum personnel is essential. Person must be energetic, highly organized and a creative problem-solver with the ability to work independently and professionally. This job requires the employee to perform certain duties outdoors and on-grounds year-round. Position will require lifting and cart driving.
Please note: Be prepared to upload your resume and letter of interest while completing your online application. Letters may be addressed to "Hiring Manager". Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please understand that if offered a position, you will be required to provide the equivalent of a satisfactory 3-year Drivers History Record and successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen as a final condition of employment.
Reports To: Graphic Design Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary: Bargaining Unit position; Initial Step: $14.39/hour plus a comprehensive benefit package, which includes medical, dental, vision, life and LTD insurance, FSA, HRA, 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays, personal business, sick leave, and vacation.
Date: October 2021
The Graphic Technician utilizes diverse skills in the creation of temporary and permanent Museum signage (directional and interpretive) as well as sign construction, installation, upkeep and maintenance. Job will be 90% technical and 10% layout/design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain and upkeep of temporary & permanent signage by repairing, staining, and/or replacing (on occasion, the Graphic Technician will need to dig holes or drill into concrete/substrates to install signage)
- Timely production of special event signs
- Laminate temporary signs
- Fabricate/construct and install new directional/exhibit signage
- Design (or utilize templates) to print and install backlit sign labels
- Layout (or utilize templates) of temporary directional signage
- Organize jobs, maintain and keep up-to-date sign inventory, order necessary supplies and materials, maintain relationships with vendors
- Provide a well-informed “eye” concerning on-grounds signage-related issues
- Keep current with modern signage materials and production techniques
- Position has potential to coordinate work with a volunteer
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Successful candidates often have a background in the fine arts.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use or learn to use (including but not limited to): table saw, drill press, laminate machine, router, and paint sprayer– as well as work with chemicals in line with OSHA and MSDS requirements
- Must be competent in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, and Microsoft Office
- Ability to think critically in finding workable solutions to signage problems
- Ability to order and correctly apply vinyl lettering on various substrates
- Proficiency in working with various power tools, vinyl-lettering applications, acrylic and dibond material, wood, paint sprayers and related materials is required, as well as suitable layout/ design skills on a Mac (Adobe CS) platform
- Have knowledge of, or willingness to learn about different sign-making substrates, adhesives, tapes and applications
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with vendors, volunteers and Museum personnel is essential
- Person must be energetic, highly organized and a creative problem-solver with the ability to work independently and professionally
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
Desired Supplemental Skills
- Metal work and/or welding
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be competent in the following software: Adobe CS—InDesign, Photoshop (basic skills) and Microsoft Office.
The employee is frequently required to walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Must be able to drive an electric cart.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to dig holes and drill into concrete to install signage. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to low.
The above description reflects a general overview of the responsibilities and position requirements for this job classification. It is not intended to be a complete description of all duties and requirements that may be inherent in the position. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is an equal opportunity institution that values a diverse workforce. The Museum is a drug and alcohol free workplace and participates in E-Verify.