Click here to apply
OEC Fiber, located in Norman, OK, is taking high-speed fiber services where no one else will. Powered by Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, OEC Fiber brings the power of high-speed fiber services right to the front door of homes and business. We are proud to provide affordable and reliable high-speed fiber services coupled with some of the most exceptional customer service in the area.
We are currently accepting resumes for the open position of Fiber Optic Technician. This is a full time position located in Norman, OK.
The Fiber Optic Technician is responsible for maintenance and installation of service for OEC Fiber. The includes installations of fiber drops, home installations, and routine and emergency maintenance and troubleshooting. The position works closely with subscribers to coordinate the routing and installation of fiber devices and equipment. The normal work schedule includes emergency and occasional scheduled days/times outside of regular business hours-extended shifts, nights, weekends, holidays.
- Provides safe, reliable fiber and broadband service by:
- Taking and analyzing OTDR measurements and light meter readings.
- Completing routine maintenance on aerial and underground lines and equipments.
- Continually inspecting structures and equipment for active or potential hazards to service.
- Responding to all work requests in a timely manner.
- Connects and disconnects aerial and underground fiber optic drops.
- Buries and/or pulls up line, using various hand and power tools and other equipments.
- Installs equipment on outside of building.
- Routes and installs fiber lines from the outside to the inside of homes and businesses.
- Runs and pulls lines through attics, crawl spaces, and walls.
- Coordinates with subscriber on locations of outlets and other equipment.
- Troubleshoots issues with fiber and broadband systems.
- Performs service calls as requested.
- Spliced fiber, using fusion and mechanical methods.
- Tests repaired, new, or updated equipment and fiber to ensure proper functions.
- Performs tasks at various heights and in confined spaces.
- Climbs poles and works from bucket and/or ladders as needed.
- Connects and configures subscriber owned devices to the wifi network, such as routers, modems, computers, phones, remote controls, and television.
- Educates users on features and services available.
- Practices and promotes respect towards subscribers and their property.
- Maintains appropriate operations and care of Cooperative vehicles, tools, and equipment used in the performance of tasks.
- Ensures Cooperative vehicle is appropriately stocked with tools, equipment, and materials.
Ideal applicants meet the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year experience in similar role or telecommunications/fiber construction, maintenance, and splicing
- Customer service experience
- Valid driver's license
- Experience working from bucket truck and climbing poles preferred
- Ability to read maps, schematic drawings, and other technical documents
- Excellent communication skills; ability to manage time and work with little supervision; open to change/variety; detail-oriented and thorough in completing tasks
Please note that applicants applying through Indeed or other job boards may need to complete their application at okcoop.org/join-our-team/. Please check your email for further instructions.
|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. Our objective is to maintain a continuing policy of non-discrimination in employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.